Savage Worlds Web Tools Update

Just got your book, can't find a copy, have a cool adventure idea or story? Chat about it here.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

Gordon
Seasoned

Re: Savage Worlds Web Tools Update

#21 Postby Gordon » Sun Mar 06, 2016 3:35 pm

No worries, thanks for letting me know. The in progress backend and UI rewrite should fix most of those problems. My goal is to have the refit done by May, but we'll see. I'm nearly done with the Extras part on the rewrite. PDF generation is much nicer so far.

Thanks!

Gordon
Seasoned

#22 Postby Gordon » Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:25 pm

The Walker, Starship, Power Armor and Vehicle creators have been transferred over to the new UI.

I have a not-so-quick (6:08 minutes) video preview of what I have so far (including some UI bugs!) here: https://youtu.be/s7q-wJGeQ3Y

Next up after some UI cleaning is the Character Generator, which will be a total rewrite and will take much more time. I was able to use most of the backend code from the Creators, although there was substantial UI code changes. It took 4 nights to get them from zero to nearly hero (they're all the same Javascript object with a few tweaks per type, such as Weapon Mount requirement for weapons on Power Armor, etc).

Gordon
Seasoned

#23 Postby Gordon » Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:21 pm

Quick Update: The Character Generator rewrite is coming along smoothly despite the time that I have to work on this project has been limited the last few weeks.

Coding TODO: Power Selection (AB Selection exists), Equipment Selection, Advancements, Testing of Edges/Hindrance availability

Once that's done, data entry of Non-Deluxe Races, Equipment, Powers, Edges and Hindrances

My goal is to be done 100% feature parity with the current character creator (which the rewrite is catching edge incompatibilities such as Improved Martial Arts that the current one is letting through) by the end of the month (for Chupacabracon III on May 13-15). I'd like to have this version set at the primary version at http://jdgwf.github.io/savage-worlds-web-tools/ as well, but I'm unsure of that timeline. I'd like to have at least one other language translated before an official launch.

Here's a quick video on a relatively small screen (916 × 556): https://youtu.be/ms9wPq3m56k

Gordon
Seasoned

#24 Postby Gordon » Mon May 02, 2016 1:36 pm

Quick Update (TL;DR): Coding is nearly complete, I'll be working on data entry full time later next week. There is intent and plans to release app as a Cordova Application which will target nearly every platform as a native application.

Coding TODO: (CharGen) Advancements

Data Entry TODO:
  • Remainder of SW:D Gear (completed this weekend?)
  • Fantasy Companion Gear, Powers, Edges and Hindrances (Races are included in SW:D)
  • Horror Companion Gear, Races, Powers, Edges and Hindrances
  • Sci-Fi companion Gear, Races, Powers, Edges and Hindrances

Preview Video: https://youtu.be/J85-Ae8EBTk

As I see the end of the tunnel for the Chargen Core code, I'm plotting the future with plugin-like features of the Super Powers Companion replacement of standard Arcane Backgrounds and possibly the Iconic Frameworks for Rifts as hinted by Sean Patrick Fannon. Whether I can act upon those depends on how nicely I ask both Sean and Kevin Siembieda, although I'll only be using Palladium owned names, it's still nice to ask (I haven't asked yet, for the record). I don't see it being an issue as long as I make sure the proper disclaimers of ownership are in the Licensing and Copyrights page.

The new framework and character generator class makes these add-on replacements much easier than the (self-admittedly) spaghetti code current version of the character generator.

As noted in a previous post, this is a self-contained AngularJS application, which means it doesn't use ANY calls to the server if you're offline and have the files cached. Because of this I'm working with Apache Cordova to create iOS and Android native applications. This is working wonderfully-I've even created desktop apps in OS X and Ubuntu. I've not tested with Windows Universal, but I'm confident that a simple compilation and testing in that environment will be fairly smooth-sailing so the app may appear in the Windows Store too. This is all assuming that the Fan License allows for such deployment, either way it'll be available as a Website Application as well.

Again, thanks for your patience, but please remember that this is a very-part time and unpaid project :)

TheLoremaster
Legendary

#25 Postby TheLoremaster » Mon May 02, 2016 2:52 pm

Gordon wrote:There is intent and plans to release app as a Cordova Application which will target nearly every platform as a native application.

Whoa. This. This is huge. Y'all just have no idea ... can't wait to see it finished! :D
"Your GM is metagaming ... and wrong!"

The GIT!
Heroic

#26 Postby The GIT! » Thu May 26, 2016 3:50 pm

This is one of my favourite game tools. My group have used the spaceship component a lot for our Last Parsec game. When you complete the Robot section will you also be able to add Construct as a race in the CharGen section?

Gordon
Seasoned

#27 Postby Gordon » Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:43 pm

I apologize for the lack of work and updates as of late. However here's a teaser of the Cordova Native App running on both Android (LG-V400) and iOS (iPad Air 2) side by side: https://youtu.be/SGK-pSbCYns

Note: sorry about the poor quality trying to navigate menus of both devices and hold my phone for video. It was so bad I hit the lock button while turning the LG-V400 and it was asking to shutdown.

Addendum: Current Application sizes are 3.5mb (compressed apk is 2.7mb) for the Android app, and 11.8mb for the iPad version (this is on the bottom 10% of my 121 apps I have installed size-wise, quite compact indeed).
Last edited by Gordon on Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Gordon
Seasoned

#28 Postby Gordon » Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:04 pm

The GIT! wrote:This is one of my favourite game tools. My group have used the spaceship component a lot for our Last Parsec game. When you complete the Robot section will you also be able to add Construct as a race in the CharGen section?

Yes. On the current, production version of the Tools Construct is already an option. However actual the robot creation tools from the Science Fiction Companion are still a planned feature.

Gordon
Seasoned

#29 Postby Gordon » Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:19 am

Here's the semi-periodical preview video for late June: https://youtu.be/F7hzZ8ppboo

I had some time off this weekend and was able to make an enormous amount of progress.

Here's the short list of fixes/additions from this weekend:
  • Removed "Options" from Top Menu, made it now a part of the Character Menu and has become the welcome screen.
  • Added Book Covers for "Select Book"
  • Added ability to select Setting Rules from each book instead of setting rules automatically being in effect.
  • Multiple Languages Setting Rule works
  • Born a Hero Setting Rule works
  • SPC Super Powers are firmly in progress (and current focus other than bug fixes as I see them).
  • Fantasy Companion should be complete.

Items still needed before launch/submission to App Stores (both iOS and Android tablets recommended, phones using these platforms should be usable, but potentially frustrating on a tiny screen):
  • Data Entry for Horror Companion (finishing off "Bestiary" and equipment).
  • ALL Data Entry for Science Fiction Companion needs to be entered
  • Robot/Construct rules for Science Fiction Companion
  • Cyberware/Strain rules need to be coded and data entered (being mindful of another book soon to be released with Cyberware/Strain rules in case there are any changes)
  • Super Powers Companion Powers, Gear needs to be entered.

duck-of-doom
Novice

#30 Postby duck-of-doom » Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:37 pm

I have seen and used this product on multiple occasions, and I must say that it is really really pretty and easy to use now. Two thumbs up!

Gordon
Seasoned

#31 Postby Gordon » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:23 am

duck-of-doom wrote:I have seen and used this product on multiple occasions, and I must say that it is really really pretty and easy to use now. Two thumbs up!

Thank you! The new UI shown in the videos doesn't do it justice. I can't wait to release it.. The character creator is miles better than the current one, and the SciFi creators have some fixes that I noted were incorrect too.

Gordon
Seasoned

#32 Postby Gordon » Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:40 am

First off: my apologies for no updates last month. This has been a very malleable time for me as I'm in-between jobs (that is, I'm transitioning to my new position next week and I've been working double to get my old job's work load as completed as possible).

State of the App
  • SW:D has all Chargen content entered!
  • Fantasy Companion has all Chargen content entered!
  • Horror Companion has all Chargen content entered!
  • Supers Companion is now current target. Races, edges, equipment, and hindrances all need to be entered. Super Powers framework has been set up, and content entry for powers is underway as well as the custom code for each (they don't work quite like normal SW powers ;) ).
  • Sci-Fi Companion is still a work-in progress, coding for Cyberware has begun, but doesn't take precedence over races, edges, and equipment.
  • I'm still not happy with the colors and look and feel of the app (although the new icons in Chargen help immensely). This will still change on

Enhancements since last
Content entry for Deluxe, Horror and Fantasy are complete... ready for bug-squashing soon.

Translation Note
I'm not allowing any translators in the translation/content admin area until I at least have the core 5 books entered and coded.

iOS and Android App Status
The app is currently saving PDF as prompted by iOS and Android exactly as expected. In iOS I'm able to save to iBooks, Acrobat or Dropbox (as well as a few other locations in the standard iOS prompt).

The code has been uploaded to the swwt-angular branch here: https://github.com/jdgwf/savage-worlds- ... wt-angular

I'm not releasing the preview quite yet as I have some major PDF printing fixes to do before this is usable on a day-to-day basis - but soon!

Current Development Target
The Super Powers Companion is now being actively worked on. I've got Super Karma, Power Levels working. Data entry for powers and modifiers (and effects of those) all need to be coded, then the Edges, Races, Equipment and Hindrances need to be added.

Next Development Target
Science Fiction Companion! This should be immensely easier in many ways than the SPC as I've already got all the "builders" (except for robots) completed. Cyberware and Robots are the only thing I believe that will need to be coded.

Screenshots
Click on thumbnails to view full-size screenshots:

Edited 8/10/16 - Added current and next development targets

Gordon
Seasoned

#33 Postby Gordon » Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:48 am

Over the last two nights I've coded the SPC Powers framework and the functions are working awesomely. The interface is currently inelegant (but I guarantee it was better than it was when I first put it on the html canvas).

The next thing to do is to enter in all the SPC Powers into the data backend then testing.

As usual, click to embiggify:
Work in progress SPC Powers page:

SPC Armor affects Character's derived armor and toughness:

Once I have the SPC powers in (and the few edges, hindrances and gear) I'll make another video and then off to the Science Fiction companion.

Once the Sci-Fi companion's Cybernetics, edges, hindrances, gear have all been entered I'll work on tweaking the PDF generation as there's been a huge amount of (edit, I accidentally the rest of the sentence!) changes since I first wrote the PDF code.

Then it's BETA RELEASE (which will replace the current web tools).

Gordon
Seasoned

#34 Postby Gordon » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:43 pm

Just a quick, but powerful, post about this project:

I've pushed up the latest "development" version as I've been getting bug reports on the version I'm not working on. The new version that I've been previewing is now LIVE. Please post bug reports here, or feel free to Tweet to @gauthic as usual.

I expect this to fix a slew of the old bugs, but I'm certain that a slew of new bugs will be created as this is a ground-up rewrite of the interface and much of the object code (the entirety of the Character Creator is rewritten).

I may create native apps of these via Apache Cordova, but until then adding the app to your home screen should work on your iDevice or Android device.

http://jdgwf.github.io/savage-worlds-web-tools

Cheers, Good Luck, and, please, Be Gentle (this is a free, highly-part-time project),
Jeff :)

Freemage
Veteran

#35 Postby Freemage » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:20 pm

Some things I encountered, some at least I'm sure you're aware of:

1: Gear from Companions doesn't actually show up, though it will charge you for them if you hit the pay button. It says it's been added to the inventory, but when you Close, it's not on the list, and it doesn't arrive in the PDF.
2: On the Edges list, Filthy Rich should require Rich (currently, you can be Filthy Rich without being Rich).
3: Charisma on the PDF does not reflect the bonuses from Edges.
4: The Human free Advance isn't properly represented--I just get a gray box on the Edges page that says, "Extra Edge (Racial)". This is also how it appears on the PDF. Also, I believe Humans can also choose to buy up an Attribute or Skills, instead (at least, this is how every group I've ever played in ran Humans, possible we were doing it wrong); this is not represented in the current form at all. (Maybe a sub-box that appears if you have "Human" as the race, saying, "Racial Advance" with a selection menu for "Edge", "Skill Points" or "Attribute Points", on the Character Information page, and then have the selection propagate through to the Traits and Edges/Hindrances pages, accordingly?
5: I was unable to select Charismatic at all, even with a Spirit d8.
6: Per the official rulings, you can actually choose the various 'casting' skills without the Arcane Background (they're pretty much useless until you take the Background, but you could add them to the skill lists now without having to worry yet about the details of ABs like power-selection and such).
7: The Edges drop-down should list all the available ABs individually, just so that you can also qualify properly for things like Champion, Holy Warrior and so forth.

Gordon
Seasoned

#36 Postby Gordon » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:59 pm

Freemage wrote:Some things I encountered, some at least I'm sure you're aware of:

1: Gear from Companions doesn't actually show up, though it will charge you for them if you hit the pay button. It says it's been added to the inventory, but when you Close, it's not on the list, and it doesn't arrive in the PDF.
2: On the Edges list, Filthy Rich should require Rich (currently, you can be Filthy Rich without being Rich).
3: Charisma on the PDF does not reflect the bonuses from Edges.
4: The Human free Advance isn't properly represented--I just get a gray box on the Edges page that says, "Extra Edge (Racial)". This is also how it appears on the PDF. Also, I believe Humans can also choose to buy up an Attribute or Skills, instead (at least, this is how every group I've ever played in ran Humans, possible we were doing it wrong); this is not represented in the current form at all. (Maybe a sub-box that appears if you have "Human" as the race, saying, "Racial Advance" with a selection menu for "Edge", "Skill Points" or "Attribute Points", on the Character Information page, and then have the selection propagate through to the Traits and Edges/Hindrances pages, accordingly?
5: I was unable to select Charismatic at all, even with a Spirit d8.
6: Per the official rulings, you can actually choose the various 'casting' skills without the Arcane Background (they're pretty much useless until you take the Background, but you could add them to the skill lists now without having to worry yet about the details of ABs like power-selection and such).
7: The Edges drop-down should list all the available ABs individually, just so that you can also qualify properly for things like Champion, Holy Warrior and so forth.

1 - That's strange. It was working last week. Checking :)
UPDATE: fixed now
2 - FIXED - will be live once I figure out what's wrong with others
3 - Will check and fix
Update - can't duplicate works on my end

4 - Savage Worlds verbatim only allows an extra edge, not advance. Ref - SW:D p21: "Humans in most settings should get the usual benefit — one free Edge of their choice. This option reflects their versatility and adaptability compared to other races."
5. I can't duplicate this bug. I get Charismatic as a selectable option when I Spirit d8 on a new character with all d4's.
6. This will require a rewrite. I'll get to it as soon as I can.
7. See #6

Update: Fixes for 1-3 should be visible. You may need to hard-refresh your browser.

ValhallaGH
Legendary

#37 Postby ValhallaGH » Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:30 pm

Note that Noble can substitute for Rich when taking Filthy Rich.
"Got a problem? I've got the solution: Rocket Launcher."
"Not against a Servitor."
"... We're all gonna die."

Gordon
Seasoned

#38 Postby Gordon » Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:38 pm

ValhallaGH wrote:Note that Noble can substitute for Rich when taking Filthy Rich.

You're absolutely right! This has been fixed (unfortunately it takes "Filthy Rich" to no longer be "under" "Rich")

Koshnek
Novice

#39 Postby Koshnek » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:56 pm

Elder doesn't give you extra skill points.
You can't take Familiar, and I assume other similar edges, because it requires a knowledge but it doesn't recognize that you have it.

Gordon
Seasoned

#40 Postby Gordon » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:05 am

Yep. There's certain things that it won't enforce, there's quite a bit of moving parts in (at least the details) of character creation

Return to “SW General Chat & Game Stories”