FC vs Core

Just got your book, can't find a copy, have a cool adventure idea or story? Chat about it here.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

Koshnek
Novice

FC vs Core

#1 Postby Koshnek » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:22 pm

Im in a FC + Core campaign using a pathfinder adventure. I was wondering if someone could give me a general guideline as to cases of FC being different from Core for fantasy flavor vs Core being more up to date than FC.

Like for example, in core does Elemental Manipulation get all 4 elements because its the more up to date book, or are they split up into 4 different powers in FC because its more fantasy-oriented?

Brickulos
Seasoned

Re: FC vs Core

#2 Postby Brickulos » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:45 pm

Most of the FC content was updated and included in the next edition of the core. So the Core always trumps the FC.

Deskepticon
Veteran

#3 Postby Deskepticon » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:50 pm

If the SWD has a power that is also in the FC, use the SWD version.

And if you haven't seen it yet, this thread has some great suggestions for elemental manipulation, and clues as to why all the elements were merged into one power.

Ilina_Young
Veteran

#4 Postby Ilina_Young » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:30 pm

a decent use i found for elemental manipulation is pushing the air against the walls of the immediate hallway to quickly scan it for displacements or vibrations as a way to detect monsters, hazards, traps, hidden walls, secret passages and the like. essentially, by momentarily binding your consciousness to the air as part of a brief bit of aeromancy, you can effectively map out the immediate hallway for any traps you need to immediately worry about, but no more than like a few rooms over.

another use i have found for it, is detecting pockets of air or water when underground, on a mountain or in a desert

tricks in combat that are intended to benefit your allies.

brightening an existing light source so you can spot hidden foes by removing shadows

replinishing a torches ability to be used and thus negating complete consumption

immature pranks like flipping an opposing noblewoman's skirt while she is in the middle of a public speech or humiliating the archmagus of a rival wizard college by making him look like he wet himself

amplifying or reducing the potency of drugs and alchohol

Koshnek
Novice

#5 Postby Koshnek » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:00 am

What about light/obscure? Was it intentionally two separate spells in fc? Bless seems like it is seperate from raise lower intentionally because of the fantasy setting to me. Or maybe in wrong and core always trumps fc :p.

Brickulos
Seasoned

#6 Postby Brickulos » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:21 am

Obscure was a power first introduced in the FC, then in Deluxe they combined it with light as one power.

Deskepticon
Veteran

#7 Postby Deskepticon » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:23 am

Koshnek wrote:What about light/obscure? Was it intentionally two separate spells in fc? Bless seems like it is seperate from raise lower intentionally because of the fantasy setting to me. Or maybe in wrong and core always trumps fc :p.

I can't speak for what was in the developer's mind when the change occured, but I suspect it came down utility and application of Trappings.
Both light and obscure change/alter darkness penalties. That's one mechanic, which probably didn't need two separate powers to represent it.

Boost/lower Trait has 1001 different applications. It's possible bless was just singled out for its niche, fantasy element.

In any case, the FC is pretty outdated. As I mentioned above, if the SWD has a power also listed in the FC use the SWD version.

However... house rules of course trump all others. If you were running a campaign were light and darkness played some important role, outside the scope of the power itself (maybe darkness cause insanity, or light drives off demons), then light/obscure may very well be two separate powers.

Freemage
Veteran

#8 Postby Freemage » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:40 am

There's also the precedent of Savage Rifts, now, which has several races/iconic frameworks that only get either Detect or Obscure Arcana 'for free'. So yeah, splitting the 'flipped' powers is fine if there's a reason for it. I once built a homebrew setting for That Other System, and it included opposed deities of knowledge/learning and mystery/illusion. If it'd been for Savage Worlds, their spell lists absolutely would've gone Detect Arcana + Light vs. Conceal Arcana + Obscure.

ValhallaGH
Legendary

#9 Postby ValhallaGH » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:45 am

Koshnek wrote:Im in a FC + Core campaign using a pathfinder adventure. I was wondering if someone could give me a general guideline as to cases of FC being different from Core for fantasy flavor vs Core being more up to date than FC.

When the Fantasy Companion was first published (2009), the core rules were Savage Worlds: Explorer's Edition.
When the core rules were updated to the Deluxe Edition (and then the Deluxe Explorer's Edition), many of the changes to race creation and powers that the FC introduced were integrated back into the core rules.
When a new printing of the FC was required (2012), PEG used an updated file, unifying the FC with the current (Deluxe) core rules.

If you're curious which FC you have, look at the copyright page. If the copyright is "2009" then it's a first printing; if it's "2009, 2012" then it's a second printing.
"Got a problem? I've got the solution: Rocket Launcher."
"Not against a Servitor."
"... We're all gonna die."

amerigoV
Heroic

#10 Postby amerigoV » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:04 pm

ValhallaGH wrote:
Koshnek wrote:If you're curious which FC you have, look at the copyright page. If the copyright is "2009" then it's a first printing; if it's "2009, 2012" then it's a second printing.

If you have original printed FC, there is a notable difference in the Adept Edge. The original FC and Hardback SWD have the same thing while the SWD-E and the updated FC have the same version. I noticed it as I was eyeing it as a clean, simple way to make a Jedi if I was ever to run a Star Wars game. The old version looked to work better than the new (and I kept flip-flopping if I could use it depending on the source I was looking at until I realized there were different :)).
Savage Buckeye!

Kristian Serrano
Heroic

#11 Postby Kristian Serrano » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:14 pm

To say that the SWD has updated most of the content from the Fantasy Companion isn't entirely accurate. The FC still has a ton of content related to magic items and how to build them, tables for those magic items, new gear, rules for siege weapons and combat, and an entire bestiary.

There are also still a few powers in the FC that are not in the SWD such as the jet power.

Bless/curse affects multiple targets within a Medium Burst Template for a cheaper cost than the limited maximum of five targets of boost/lower trait.

With respect to shared content, the SWD supersedes the FC.

ValhallaGH
Legendary

#12 Postby ValhallaGH » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:50 pm

Kristian Serrano wrote:To say that the SWD has updated most of the content from the Fantasy Companion isn't entirely accurate.

Which is why I did not say that. In fact, no one in this thread seems to have said it.

I said that most of the FC changes to race creation and powers were brought into Deluxe. Which is true.
The bestiary, additional equipment, new arcane backgrounds, magic item rules, expanded information about AB (Miracles), siege mechanics, racial edges, a couple of new powers (like bless/curse) / variants on existing powers (like jet), and a fair bit of other stuff were all left in the FC because they (presumably) didn't belong in the core rules.

Kristian Serrano
Heroic

#13 Postby Kristian Serrano » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:56 pm

You're right. My apologies. It's a statement I often see repeated, even as recently as the most recent Savage Worlds GM Hangout. Too often I see people dismissing the FC despite the value it still has, and I was reacting to that more than your specific statement or anyone else's in this thread.

Koshnek
Novice

#14 Postby Koshnek » Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:50 pm

Is the 2012 update to Print only for the FC? My FC PDF only has 2009. I also redownloaded it to be sure, and it still says 2009.

ValhallaGH
Legendary

#15 Postby ValhallaGH » Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:41 am

The pdf was updated. Talk to your vendor, if they don't have the updated file.

Return to “SW General Chat & Game Stories”