Storn Art for tha' swipin'

Just got your book, can't find a copy, have a cool adventure idea or story? Chat about it here.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

Storn...

Beard
15%
Beard
15%
Beard
15%
Beard
15%
No beard
10%
No beard
10%
No beard
10%
No beard
10%

Total votes: 564

fanchergw
Heroic

#861 Postby fanchergw » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:58 pm

Clint wrote:
Storn wrote:Image

Can't explain it, but this guy just rocks! I want to play Stripes McPunchalot!

I feel the same way, though perhaps with a different name... :eek:

Gordon

chadhale
Seasoned

#862 Postby chadhale » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:05 pm

what I really like is the "Reality" of your characters; they are like people I have seen around town, just in a very different costume...

I am so glad that you don't break with this feature of your style.

Storn
Veteran

#863 Postby Storn » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:35 am

chadhale wrote:what I really like is the "Reality" of your characters; they are like people I have seen around town, just in a very different costume...

I am so glad that you don't break with this feature of your style.

Wow. Thank you so much for such a nice compliment. Thrilled that you like!!!

I wanted to post this earlier, but I've been rebuilding my website after it gathered a horrendous virus. I just completed a bunch of fantasy commissions and they are compiled into one of LPJ Design's Storn Cook Portfolios, number 25 to be exact! So, if you are looking for good resolutions of my artwork for clip art, look no further! Link here:

Storn Cook Portfolio # 25: http://www.rpgnow.com/product/117747/Im ... rs=0_0_0_0

Here are couple of samples from Portfolio #25 (and you can see all of the art of any of the portfolios before purchase, no blind buys, over at RPGnow). Kind of a strange selection because I was asked for THREE sitting poses. I rarely get asked to do single figure commissions with specifically sitting situations. Fun!

Also, check out my new banner art for my website, you can see it up top on my web/art/blog/site. And put here for showing off sake:
Visual Storytelling
www.stornart.com
Storn Prints and Originals for Sale
http://fineartamerica.com/profiles/storn-cook

Snate56
Legendary

#864 Postby Snate56 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:48 pm

I love the banner!
I am partial, however, to the one clear back on page 6. Though not a banner, per se, I love how it illustrates the any world/any time aspect of the game.
I like to show it to future players to help them decide which direction they'd like to go with the game.

SteveN
"Politicians and diapers must be changed often, and for the same reasons."
>Mark Twain<

VonDan
Legendary

#865 Postby VonDan » Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:12 am

Snate56 wrote:I love the banner!
I am partial, however, to the one clear back on page 6. Though not a banner, per se, I love how it illustrates the any world/any time aspect of the game.
I like to show it to future players to help them decide which direction they'd like to go with the game.

SteveN

good except she has one lithe young leg and one muscly leg

Snate56
Legendary

#866 Postby Snate56 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:01 am

Von Dan, I know, that's why I didn't post the picture, I just told them where to find it.

The differences lie in that she's not the exact same being in different realms, though she's the same person, she's different people in each realm.

SteveN
>Mark Twain<

Storn
Veteran

#867 Postby Storn » Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:26 pm

Yah. I always liked that pic.

Got another foursome for ya. 3 from Paul L. and these are bit strange.... I love 'em. I've got one more to do soon for Paul T., but it is a bit more involved. It is so fun to do strange.

And the karate Elvis is for Death Tribble.

Visual Storytelling

www.stornart.com

DHRDawg
Veteran

#868 Postby DHRDawg » Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:30 pm

Storn wrote:Y

And the karate Elvis is for Death Tribble.

KARATE ELVIS FTW!
Thank you Storn...Thank you very much!

VonDan
Legendary

#869 Postby VonDan » Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:36 pm

Snate56 wrote:Von Dan, I know, that's why I didn't post the picture, I just told them where to find it.

The differences lie in that she's not the exact same being in different realms, though she's the same person, she's different people in each realm.

SteveN

It's like she is Elric's sister Elrica one of the the four eternal champion chicks, and we have to write a scenario ware the players each play one aspect as they are summoned to join together in a cross dimensional adventure to rescue the princess of Magufftonia

And the champion from the pulp world has been hitting the roids

Snate56
Legendary

#870 Postby Snate56 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:41 am

I do like the ape priest, like something out of Brin's Uplift books.

SteveN
>Mark Twain<

Storn
Veteran

#871 Postby Storn » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:51 pm

Snate56 wrote:I do like the ape priest, like something out of Brin's Uplift books.

SteveN

Thankyee kindly sir!

Well, my site caught hacked again, after I wiped out everything. So, I went to Securi, spent the money and had them clean the site and together, a bit more security (hopefully) was put into place.

Meanwhile, I've been getting artwork done. Here are a few pieces! Here are one from Paul L., his last of his oddball religious illos he had me do. And the Decathelete (my title) for Death Tribble as a new take on the "weaponmaster" archtype on super-hero/villain.

Working a lot with toned paper on these, doing both pencil to darken, and white acrylic for highlights. Then working with multiply, normal and color overlay levels in Photoshop and Manga Studio. I'm kinda digging it.

Visual Storytelling

www.stornart.com

Storn
Veteran

#872 Postby Storn » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:29 pm

Paul C is one interesting patron. He has me do the usual single figure commissions for his fantasy game. But then he turns it up a notch and gives me these scenes to do with the previously done characters. And I get to do ACTION! I like doing action. A lot. These are a lot of work, but boy, both of these were SOO much fun to do. Getting to do monsters, neat locales and heroes in motion.

You know you are having fun when working late at night and your wife calls you to watch something and you can't tear yourself away. I hope that comes across

. Don't get me wrong, I like introspective scenes, single figures, landscapes...heck, I like doing pretty much all art. When I haven't done black and white brush/ink work in awhile, it is really nice to come back to that medium... or if I've been doing a lot of digital, it is nice to pick up an actual paint brush.

Both of these are digital, but the Black Dragon one was done over a very loose thumbnail, because I liked it a lot better than the pencils I was working on (more energy) from that thumbnail. Which I promptly abandoned about 1/3rd of the way through. Conversely, Marilith was done from pretty tight pencils on bristol. Both times I did sorta digital underpaintings with a tone layed down, punching the blacks up a bit and then going in with white to pick out highlights.

I'll shut up now and show the art.

Visual Storytelling

www.stornart.com

Storn
Veteran

#873 Postby Storn » Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:10 pm

I purchased today at the Standard Art Supply in Ithaca, NY, a new white pencil. It is a big, huge, thick white pencil that I hope doesn't break like my prismacolor white pencils always do INSIDE the pencil part. A tip breaking is fine, I can resharpen, but I hate when a color pencil breaks multiple times inside the wood and the lead starts falling out. Grrr.

So this was a quickie little sketch that I did at a coffee shop. I liked it, so I scanned it in and posted it for funnsies... not finished artwork by any stretch. The new pencil, by the way, is for Lyra, called, appropriately, "Color-Giants" and made in Germany. While I had a pencil sharpener, it is too fat for it and I didn't have my usual pen knife, so a bit awkward and clumsy for detail work...but I liked the feel for it. Hope when sharpened by a knife, get a bit more of a point to work with. At the moment, it is bit more like a crayon. But I like the solidity and feel of the pencil. The tip might break, but the lead won't break inside the wood due to any kind of normal wear and tear.

Visual Storytelling

www.stornart.com

Storn
Veteran

#874 Postby Storn » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:50 am

Here is some work I did awhile ago, but got permission to post. It is for a virtual card game for facebook, and the working title is Phaeton. I don't know how far along it is, or quite how it is played. But the core concept is based around some kind of school for teen supers, ala X-mansion.

My friend Steve Ellis was lead artist and art director on this one, and it was both fun and tough to work with the constraints and character concepts he had set up. Tough in that we have very different ways of working, especially when it comes to inking. So, I was trying to come close to his inking style. But that was fun too, because it pushed and prodded me to really think about how I do things and I learned a lot.

So here are a smattering of images that I done for the game.

Visual Storytelling

www.stornart.com

Storn
Veteran

#875 Postby Storn » Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:39 pm

The Devil is in the Details.

Well, in this case, Devil is coming out of the arch way. Here is a commission done for my awesome patron, Paul C. This one was a lot of fun to do, especially while watching my beloved Packers beat the Ravens yesterday. (I have two monitors, so I can watch stuff while I work). But I did the finishes this morning, early afternoon.

I had the layout in my head before starting the painting. I pencilled both the demon and Dana there on separate paper, scanned them in, created the cathedral and statuary in Manga Studio 5, combined it all in Photoshop and then did a semi-sorta digital underpainting.

I have not released a lot of the Paul C commissions as LPJ Design Portfolios because the time that goes into them, I don’t want to release them at the price point those portfolios go for. So. If anyone needs some 2nd use printing rights for covers or what have you, these paintings will go for a lot less than 1st use artwork. And I will make some extra monies that is more reasonably compensation.

Visual Storytelling

www.stornart.com

Zadmar
Legendary

#876 Postby Zadmar » Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:39 pm

Storn wrote:One issue has been popping up a bit in some of my private e-mails. And since I think this is a pretty good way of dealing with online creations... My art that I post will be Creative Commons. Which is the short way of saying, y'all can use it as long as you don't try to make money off it.

I noticed you've not been including the disclaimer for a while now. Are your new art pieces also under the CC licence? I've been assuming they're not unless they explicitly state otherwise, but your work is fantastic and I'd love to use some of the newer stuff in my fan docs - so figured it can't hurt to ask!

Dapifer
Novice

#877 Postby Dapifer » Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:55 am

OMG!

Thank you!! THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

Kudos for a job very much well done, and thanks a lot for sharing you art with the people.

It's really evocative and got me thinking on the background and personalities of many of your concepts.

Seriously, you are a Prince among men, thank you.

Storn
Veteran

#878 Postby Storn » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:42 pm

Zadmar wrote:
Storn wrote:One issue has been popping up a bit in some of my private e-mails. And since I think this is a pretty good way of dealing with online creations... My art that I post will be Creative Commons. Which is the short way of saying, y'all can use it as long as you don't try to make money off it.

I noticed you've not been including the disclaimer for a while now. Are your new art pieces also under the CC licence? I've been assuming they're not unless they explicitly state otherwise, but your work is fantastic and I'd love to use some of the newer stuff in my fan docs - so figured it can't hurt to ask!

yah. I haven't. It is because I'm trying to eek out a few bucks here and there via my Portfolios by LPJ Design. Link: http://www.rpgnow.com/index.php?keyword ... from=&pto=

I think it muddles the dialogue a bit..if I'm offering art for free, but then also charging for it. IF you want good resolution artwork, then go to the Portfolios or contract me to do artwork. If you can make do with 72 dpi and are NOT trying to make money from my work, then I don't care if you swipe the art for your gaming table. In fact, that is why I put it up.
Visual Storytelling

www.stornart.com

Storn
Veteran

#879 Postby Storn » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:44 pm

My pleasure Dapifer!

Painting on a different canvas

I painted on Saturday. That is not particularly unusual for me. What was unusual was that it was on my friend Pete’s face. I’ve done a couple of wounds for my wife, when she does roleplaying scenarios for nursing students. My wife is a professor of nursing and recently, she “played” a patient who had fallen and had a huge gash on her leg, bleeding. The students have to access and figure out what to do. It is startlingly real for 1st semester students and they get all kinds of flustered.

So. I’ve had some experience doing blood trails, wounds and puss with cheap make up. But Pete, who is a drummer in the heavy-metal Ire Clad, was doing a gig at the Haunt, here in Ithaca, on Saturday as a zombie. Pigment is pigment, hopefully, I could pull this off. So, here is my very first horror make up job. This is all brushed on. No cool airbrushes like on Face Off. Pete did the clothes with a belt sander for the distressing and watered acrylic through a spray bottle for the blood. I think his clothes came out better than the make up. But it was a ton of fun to do.

Here be a link to Ire Clad’s own facebook page with more pics. https://www.facebook.com/ireclad

And here are my pics!

Also, unrelated, I needed to do a warm up the other day, so I decided to do the Ten Ton Studio’s sketch challenge. Which is DC comics’ Mad Dog. Come on by the Mad Dog sketch challenge thread and check ‘em out. You can vote on them too. So, if you like one sketch in particular, please vote, you do not have to belong to Ten Ton Studios to do so. Voting starts tomorrow (Wednesday).

Visual Storytelling

www.stornart.com

Storn
Veteran

#880 Postby Storn » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:23 pm

A couple of post ago, I mentioned not wanting to release the more "cover" oriented private commissions as clip art. Well, LPJ Design and I worked out a price point that, yup! We ARE releasing some artwork as Single Portfolio pieces. Yes, these are more expensive, but compared to a cover, which I charge from $400.00 to $1000.00 depending on complexity, these are a STEAL! So, if you are a publisher who needs some fantasy adventure artwork, please consider my offerings:

Check out the Single Portfolios, 1 and 2, here:

http://lpjdesign.rpgnow.com/product/121 ... Storn-Cook

http://lpjdesign.rpgnow.com/product/121 ... Storn-Cook

I'm about to enter into a contract with a ton of work that needs to be done in a month. So my posting will probably be a bit spotty, if non existent. I don't think I will be able to put up the artwork I will be working on for awhile. But it is fantasy art for "digital" card game.

But to leave you with a bit of artwork, here is another Ten Ton Studio challenge. This week, it is Captain Marvel! I did this sketch on vellum with pencil and black color pencil... mostly the color pencil. I kinda like the waxiness on the smooth vellum.

Here is the link to Ten Ton Studios. Voting begins tomorrow on it.

http://www.tentonstudios.com/forum/inde ... pic=9973.0

And here is the artwork in case you don't want to go over to Ten Ton.

Shazam! It's Captain Marvel!
Visual Storytelling

www.stornart.com

Return to “SW General Chat & Game Stories”