Mutant Chronicles 3rd Edition Core Book Savage Worlds Edition

Discussion of products from third-party companies licensed to produce SW products. Company specific threads should be marked with their name in brackets.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

Message
Author
mac40k
Seasoned
Posts: 317
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:32 pm

Mutant Chronicles 3rd Edition Core Book Savage Worlds Edition

#1 Postby mac40k » Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:26 pm

It didn't make the PEG update, but Modiphius has just released the Savage version of Mutant Chronicles. I got Mutant Year 0 and kickstarted Genlab Alpha, so I know Modiphius does good work. Bought it and am downloading now. May have more to say after I get a chance to dig into it later.

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/188567/Mutant-Chronicles-3rd-Edition-Core-Book-Savage-Worlds-Edition

PencilBoy99
Seasoned
Posts: 457
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2008 6:16 pm

Re: Mutant Chronicles 3rd Edition Core Book Savage Worlds Edition

#2 Postby PencilBoy99 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:19 pm

I just got it.

It is amazing.

Please buy it or they won't make a POD version of the book.

Ryche
Veteran
Posts: 610
Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 4:04 pm

Re: Mutant Chronicles 3rd Edition Core Book Savage Worlds Edition

#3 Postby Ryche » Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:50 pm

PencilBoy99 wrote:It is amazing.

+1

Its a good conversion from the 2d20 Mutant Chronicles and has everything you need to play (except needing the SW core rule book)

Legate71
Veteran
Posts: 530
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:39 pm

Re: Mutant Chronicles 3rd Edition Core Book Savage Worlds Edition

#4 Postby Legate71 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:46 pm

Yup. Hope they get to a spot where they can develop the SW edition into a printed line. Great stuff.

Shadow Walker
Novice
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:18 am

Re: Mutant Chronicles 3rd Edition Core Book Savage Worlds Edition

#5 Postby Shadow Walker » Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:27 am

Hi to all. I registered because I am MC fan and would like to hear your opinion about SW edition of MC3. Please sell me on SW edition. Why should I use it over 2d20 version?

ValhallaGH
Legendary
Posts: 8239
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:15 pm

Re: Mutant Chronicles 3rd Edition Core Book Savage Worlds Edition

#6 Postby ValhallaGH » Wed Sep 14, 2016 12:54 pm

Savage Worlds allows for larger combats with more participants on either (or both) sides without significantly slowing the action.
Savage Worlds allows for anyone to succeed at anything as long as they are allowed the attempt. It's possible for a 6 year old human to punch out a demon prince, if luck is on the kid's side.
Savage Worlds doesn't have a class mechanic, so it allows any character to get very good at almost any thing, even things that are regarded as antithetical to the original career concept.
Savage Worlds has scores of settings and supplements that can be mined for concepts, mechanics, and new challenges to enhance a Mutant Chronicles campaign.

If the above sounds good then check out Savage Worlds. The core rules are only $10 U.S. That's the best value for cash deal I've found in gaming.
"Got a problem? I've got the solution: Rocket Launcher."
"Not against a Servitor."
"... We're all gonna die."

Shadow Walker
Novice
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:18 am

Re: Mutant Chronicles 3rd Edition Core Book Savage Worlds Edition

#7 Postby Shadow Walker » Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:10 pm

ValhallaGH wrote:Savage Worlds allows for larger combats with more participants on either (or both) sides without significantly slowing the action.
Savage Worlds allows for anyone to succeed at anything as long as they are allowed the attempt. It's possible for a 6 year old human to punch out a demon prince, if luck is on the kid's side.
Savage Worlds doesn't have a class mechanic, so it allows any character to get very good at almost any thing, even things that are regarded as antithetical to the original career concept.
Savage Worlds has scores of settings and supplements that can be mined for concepts, mechanics, and new challenges to enhance a Mutant Chronicles campaign.

If the above sounds good then check out Savage Worlds. The core rules are only $10 U.S. That's the best value for cash deal I've found in gaming.


Kid to be able to punch a Demon is not something I count as positive aspect of game system but other points above are. Thank you for sharing your opinion :)

Ryche
Veteran
Posts: 610
Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 4:04 pm

Re: Mutant Chronicles 3rd Edition Core Book Savage Worlds Edition

#8 Postby Ryche » Wed Sep 14, 2016 6:42 pm

Shadow Walker wrote:Hi to all. I registered because I am MC fan and would like to hear your opinion about SW edition of MC3. Please sell me on SW edition. Why should I use it over 2d20 version?

Obviously the core fluff material is the same between both systems. But as for mechanics, I find the SW ruleset to run smoother and faster than the 2d20. The 2d20 is a good system and what they are doing with it in Conan and Infinity works, but I find it takes less prep time with SW. As VH pointed out you can handle larger combats quicker and anything is possible. The life paths were converted nicely so you still have the feel of MC and the Corporations. All the other Source Books are still valuable as you will find converting stuff is easy. SW modular nature allows you to tweak certain rules to emulate the setting you want (more pluppy or more gritty).

ValhallaGH
Legendary
Posts: 8239
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:15 pm

Re: Mutant Chronicles 3rd Edition Core Book Savage Worlds Edition

#9 Postby ValhallaGH » Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:22 pm

Shadow Walker wrote:Kid to be able to punch a Demon is not something I count as positive aspect of game system

It requires the GM to let the dice be rolled, and for the dice to roll very high (kid probably has Strength d4, Warmonger Nepharite has Toughness 21 (10), kid has to roll a 37+ to punch him out, a 1 in 262,144 chance, or 0.00038%), but is theoretically possible.
Shadow Walker wrote:but other points above are. Thank you for sharing your opinion :)

You're welcome, but there wasn't much opinion there. Just facts. :wink:

Personally, I think Savage Worlds is a smoother, more action-packed, and fun system, with a much more intuitive set of game mechanics, greater flexibility for handling situations, and better accommodation of situational rulings. But that's just my opinion.
"Got a problem? I've got the solution: Rocket Launcher."
"Not against a Servitor."
"... We're all gonna die."

Shadow Walker
Novice
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:18 am

Re: Mutant Chronicles 3rd Edition Core Book Savage Worlds Edition

#10 Postby Shadow Walker » Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:44 am

Thanks guys! Do any of you know when it will be available in print?

User avatar
Darq666
Veteran
Posts: 589
Age: 54
Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:52 pm
Location: Fountain Hills, Az
Contact:

Re: Mutant Chronicles 3rd Edition Core Book Savage Worlds Edition

#11 Postby Darq666 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:46 pm

Shadow Walker wrote:Thanks guys! Do any of you know when it will be available in print?

I don't believe currently they have plans to offer it in print.

Ryche
Veteran
Posts: 610
Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 4:04 pm

Re: Mutant Chronicles 3rd Edition Core Book Savage Worlds Edition

#12 Postby Ryche » Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:42 pm

Shadow Walker wrote:Thanks guys! Do any of you know when it will be available in print?

When I lasted asked Chris at Modiphius he said it all depended on the sales of the PDF and if there was enough interest to generate a print run for it. So at the moment I think its still up in the air.

Shadow Walker
Novice
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:18 am

Re: Mutant Chronicles 3rd Edition Core Book Savage Worlds Edition

#13 Postby Shadow Walker » Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:30 pm

I forgot to ask one thing - while ago I managed to quick read friend's (who was a ks backer) copy of SW edition and noticed some mistakes like Pretorian Stalker being Size +5 where Nepharite is only +2 or 'Shotgun' instead Shogun assault rifle in Samurai Edge. Do you know if such things were corrected in final pdf?

Legate71
Veteran
Posts: 530
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:39 pm

Re: Mutant Chronicles 3rd Edition Core Book Savage Worlds Edition

#14 Postby Legate71 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:41 pm

Shadow Walker wrote:
ValhallaGH wrote:Savage Worlds allows for larger combats with more participants on either (or both) sides without significantly slowing the action.
Savage Worlds allows for anyone to succeed at anything as long as they are allowed the attempt. It's possible for a 6 year old human to punch out a demon prince, if luck is on the kid's side.
Savage Worlds doesn't have a class mechanic, so it allows any character to get very good at almost any thing, even things that are regarded as antithetical to the original career concept.
Savage Worlds has scores of settings and supplements that can be mined for concepts, mechanics, and new challenges to enhance a Mutant Chronicles campaign.

If the above sounds good then check out Savage Worlds. The core rules are only $10 U.S. That's the best value for cash deal I've found in gaming.


Kid to be able to punch a Demon is not something I count as positive aspect of game system but other points above are. Thank you for sharing your opinion :)


I think what he was referring to is you can "one-shot" a bad guy in savage worlds if luck is with you.

Ryche
Veteran
Posts: 610
Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 4:04 pm

Re: Mutant Chronicles 3rd Edition Core Book Savage Worlds Edition

#15 Postby Ryche » Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:26 pm

Shadow Walker wrote:I forgot to ask one thing - while ago I managed to quick read friend's (who was a ks backer) copy of SW edition and noticed some mistakes like Pretorian Stalker being Size +5 where Nepharite is only +2 or 'Shotgun' instead Shogun assault rifle in Samurai Edge. Do you know if such things were corrected in final pdf?

I would suggest posting this on Modiphious forum. I am not sure if check here. That way if it's not fixed it can be and a new PDF created.

Shadow Walker
Novice
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:18 am

Re: Mutant Chronicles 3rd Edition Core Book Savage Worlds Edition

#16 Postby Shadow Walker » Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:31 pm

I have asked Modiphius and Chris Birch said that they are looking at the Spring for print version of MC3 SW so there is still time to report any errors found in pdf. There will be also a conversion guide in print version.

User avatar
johnnii
Seasoned
Posts: 128
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:13 am

Re: Mutant Chronicles 3rd Edition Core Book Savage Worlds Edition

#17 Postby johnnii » Fri Oct 07, 2016 2:48 am

Is Dark symmetry points converted over in some way? I really like the economy of DSPs in the 2d20 and think it would translate well with Bennies.

ValhallaGH
Legendary
Posts: 8239
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:15 pm

Re: Mutant Chronicles 3rd Edition Core Book Savage Worlds Edition

#18 Postby ValhallaGH » Fri Oct 07, 2016 6:39 am

The GM bennies are put into a Dark Symmetry Pool, which can be added to by Brotherhood and Heretic characters, and anyone can increase the DS Pool for a re-roll (and roll Willpower to avoid Dread). Plus some other stuff.

So, yeah. There's an interesting dynamic and economy about embracing "just a little bit" of Dark Symmetry.
"Got a problem? I've got the solution: Rocket Launcher."
"Not against a Servitor."
"... We're all gonna die."

Legate71
Veteran
Posts: 530
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:39 pm

Re: Mutant Chronicles 3rd Edition Core Book Savage Worlds Edition

#19 Postby Legate71 » Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:45 pm

Shadow Walker wrote:Thanks guys! Do any of you know when it will be available in print?


They are planning a release for the main book in print next Spring. Also, a conversion guide is being planned.

Shadow Walker
Novice
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2016 10:18 am

Re: Mutant Chronicles 3rd Edition Core Book Savage Worlds Edition

#20 Postby Shadow Walker » Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:17 am

I am working on second feedback for Modiphius (I have found new mistakes and have latest SW rules too) and before I send it I would like to have 2 things cleared (and here I need your help :)).
1. If every weapon which has RoF 2 (and more) can autofire, should it not mean that every such weapon (except shotguns, flamers etc.) should have in its Notes an Autofire listed?
2. It is written in MC3 that shotguns follow SW rules for them and in SW their RoF is either 1 or 1-2 (if double barreled). Would it mean that Rof of 3 or higher for shotguns is a mistake or am I missing something?


Return to “SW Licensees”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests