Raises on a Weird Science Power

This is the topic for asking questions about how the core rules officially work. Only the official answer guys can reply in this topic. Please read the rules in the first thread.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

Kaandorian
Novice

Raises on a Weird Science Power

#1 Postby Kaandorian » Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:22 am

Again my Vibro-Katana... you hate it by now, I'm sure. 8)

I activate the Smite power with a Fighting roll and gain +2 to damage, unless I make a raise, for a +4 bonus to damage.
But how do I calculate the Target Number? Does it depend on the enemy's parry? If so, the TN for a Smite raise is the same for the normal +1d6 raise?

Or the TN to activate Smite is the usual 4 (and 8 for a raise)? In this case, I could easily get a raise to Smite but not the normal +1d6 for a normal Fighting raise. Actually, against an opponent with a very low Parry, I could also get a Raise with the attack but not with the power.

Clint
Site Admin

Re: Raises on a Weird Science Power

#2 Postby Clint » Sun Dec 25, 2016 9:39 pm

Kaandorian wrote:Again my Vibro-Katana... you hate it by now, I'm sure. 8)

I activate the Smite power with a Fighting roll and gain +2 to damage, unless I make a raise, for a +4 bonus to damage.
But how do I calculate the Target Number? Does it depend on the enemy's parry? If so, the TN for a Smite raise is the same for the normal +1d6 raise?

Or the TN to activate Smite is the usual 4 (and 8 for a raise)? In this case, I could easily get a raise to Smite but not the normal +1d6 for a normal Fighting raise. Actually, against an opponent with a very low Parry, I could also get a Raise with the attack but not with the power.

Might read this post first...

viewtopic.php?p=399809#p399809

Thing is, using Fighting to activate the gadget is basically a trapping of the power, so there are lots of different ways it could work. It really depends on the player and GM working out the specifics. As noted in the post above, it could actually work using Weird Science instead as noted in the one example, there are advantages and drawbacks to both.

Hope that helps.
Clint Black
Savage Worlds Core Rules Brand Manager

www.peginc.com

Return to “Official Answers on How the Core Rules Work”