Skill Specialization and Edges That Grant Bonuses

This is the topic for asking questions about how the core rules officially work. Only the official answer guys can reply in this topic. Please read the rules in the first thread.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

Oneiros
Novice

Skill Specialization and Edges That Grant Bonuses

#1 Postby Oneiros » Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:42 pm

If I'm using the Setting Rule "Skill Specialization", how do those specializations interact with Edges that grant bonuses? In particular, Professional Edges for non-combat skills.

For instance, let's say I split the Stealth skill out into specializations based on its two described uses (Sneak, Pick Pockets). A player creates a character and takes d8 in Stealth, and the Sneak specialization. Now he wants to take the Thief professional Edge.

• Can skill specializations play into requirements? I.e., can I change the Stealth d8+ requirement for Thief to Stealth (Sneak) d8+, thereby limiting the Edge's affect on Stealth to only that specialization?

• If I don't indicate specialization in the requirement, does the +2 to Stealth apply to both Sneak and Pick Pockets, or only Sneak, since that's the skill specialization the character chose? If the latter, if he later picked up the Sneak(Pick Pockets) specialization, would it apply then?

• Unrelated Bonus Question: Are there any concerns I should be aware if I reduced the non-specialization penalty to -1 instead of -2?

Clint
Site Admin

Re: Skill Specialization and Edges That Grant Bonuses

#2 Postby Clint » Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:12 pm

Oneiros wrote:If I'm using the Setting Rule "Skill Specialization", how do those specializations interact with Edges that grant bonuses?

Officially, the Edges work as listed providing a bonus to every use of that skill regardless of specialization, but the specialization rule applies meaning any specialization the character does not have would suffer a -2 penalty which likely counters any bonus from the Edge.

So if a character had a d8 in a skill and an Edge providing a +2 bonus, they would roll d8+2 for any specializations they have and d8 for any they did not (instead of a d8 and d8-2).

[The other questions fall under applying house rules which is outside the purview of this topic I'm afraid. Probably best to take to open discussion in SW General Chat to get feedback on them.]
Clint Black
Savage Worlds Core Rules Brand Manager

www.peginc.com

Return to “Official Answers on How the Core Rules Work”