Super Powers and Trappings

Information and comments on all Pinnacle original Savage Settings plus our genre-based Companions. Please note the product with an abbreviation in the Subject line (ex. [FC] for Fantasy Companion, [NE] for Necessary Evil, and so on). Note: Deadlands has its own forum below as do licensed settings.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

One_Hand_Clapping
Novice

Super Powers and Trappings

#1 Postby One_Hand_Clapping » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:27 am

I have a question about how to use certain trappings with super powers (as depicted in SPC2).

When designing trappings that have mechanical effects, I've always used the guidelines detailed in the Fantasy Companion, p. 25. Under the paragraph about "Major Effects", it discusses how a trapping that provides a significant benenfit can be balanced by reducing one of the power's variables (such as range or damage), or by increasing the PP cost.

Obviously, these rules apply to power points as they're used in the core book, and I understand that the super powers from SPC2 use a different system. Still, I'd like to directly apply these same trapping rules to super powers.
This means that a player who wants his super power to have a "major effect" trapping can pay one or two extra PPs (which makes the trapping just like a modifier). Alternately, another aspect of the super power could be reduced to compensate.

Does anyone have recommendations? Are there balance issues I need to consider when apply trappings to SPC2 super powers, as opposed to the usual powers.

Clint
Site Admin

Re: Super Powers and Trappings

#2 Postby Clint » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:30 am

One_Hand_Clapping wrote:I have a question about how to use certain trappings with super powers (as depicted in SPC2).

When designing trappings that have mechanical effects, I've always used the guidelines detailed in the Fantasy Companion, p. 25. Under the paragraph about "Major Effects", it discusses how a trapping that provides a significant benenfit can be balanced by reducing one of the power's variables (such as range or damage), or by increasing the PP cost.

Obviously, these rules apply to power points as they're used in the core book, and I understand that the super powers from SPC2 use a different system. Still, I'd like to directly apply these same trapping rules to super powers.
This means that a player who wants his super power to have a "major effect" trapping can pay one or two extra PPs (which makes the trapping just like a modifier). Alternately, another aspect of the super power could be reduced to compensate.

Does anyone have recommendations? Are there balance issues I need to consider when apply trappings to SPC2 super powers, as opposed to the usual powers.

Well, they are two completely different systems of powers, so not sure it's possible to "directly apply" the FC rules to SPC powers.

That said, some of them are basically already covered by the SPC. The Contingent Modifier could handle a bunch of the "when X power is active, Y effect also occurs," and of course, the AP for Fire/Heat trapping is an existing Modifiers under Attack, Melee/Ranged and Damage Field.

The SPC is very effect driven, so it's usually possible to create the core mechanics of an ability and just apply "Minor Trappings" for what trappings do.

Of course, it's not always possible, so it definitely is feasible to apply trappings with greater effects in exchange for drawbacks, but not sure using the FC version of such "directly" would be best. One of the key issues to look out for would be the impact on powers which are continually active.

For example, the beneficial Major Trapping for an Electrical power would be +2 Pace and +1 die type to Agility. In the FC, that costs 1 PP, but that's based on powers which take an action to activate and typically last 3 rounds before needing to be maintained. Using that in the SPC as is would allow for bypassing the need for Requires Activation to use Contingent on those effects, allowing a character to basically spend 1 PP to get 2 points of Super Attribute (Agility) and what would kind of be another 1 point for the +2 Pace which are always active. Ending up with pretty much a 1 for 3 effectiveness.

Ultimately, I'd say try for the effects using the SPC system alone and only if it's not possible to duplicate an effect with that, look at adjusting via trappings or new Modifiers (which can easily be independent of trappings) but focusing on how they impact that power system.

Hope that helps.
Clint Black
Savage Worlds Core Rules Brand Manager

www.peginc.com

Return to “SW Pinnacle Original Settings & Companions”