[ETU] What's up with Charbrae Manor and Dale Island?

Information and comments on all Pinnacle original Savage Settings plus our genre-based Companions. Please note the product with an abbreviation in the Subject line (ex. [FC] for Fantasy Companion, [NE] for Necessary Evil, and so on). Note: Deadlands has its own forum below as do licensed settings.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

The Dead Ranger
Seasoned

[ETU] What's up with Charbrae Manor and Dale Island?

#1 Postby The Dead Ranger » Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:53 pm

In Degrees of Horror, the "Fishing Trip" plot mentions Charbrae Manor on Dale Island in Lake Graystone. It mentions that the whole island buzzes with power and evil. There is also mention in the main ETU book that Dale Island was a major sacred site for the local tribe. Other than that, there's no other information in either book that I can find. Is there any other information available on what's going on here. It it just due to the presence of the item that "Fishing Trip" deals with or is this just left open for GM development? If the later, what have other done with the location?

If I'm missing something please let me know. Thanks!
John W. Thompson

"If everyone's having fun, then you're doing it right."

serquet
Novice

Re: [ETU] What's up with Charbrae Manor and Dale Island?

#2 Postby serquet » Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:29 pm

My take is it was left open as a plot hook for the GM; I'm not aware of any other 'official' story about it. I'm working the island into the RTU plot point I'm currently working on writing.
Creator of ETU living campaign : The Corvus Conspiracy https://etuclassof2019.wordpress.com/

Ilina_Young
Veteran

#3 Postby Ilina_Young » Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:05 pm

the details on the Island are left blank for the same reason the powers are left generic in the core rulebook. as a GM, you are supposed to put your own spin on the island, just as players in certain other settings are expected to describe thier own powers. as you can probably tell in every other book, there isn't a power that lets you substitute a skill you don't have with your arcane skill. at the same time, the horrors of the Island are up to you. a good one i recommend is Fey, because they started horror and were the origin of stories told to frighten children with the intent to encourage positive behaviors. since it is a north american tribal place, i recommend Skinwalkers or Wendigo.

The Dead Ranger
Seasoned

#4 Postby The Dead Ranger » Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:56 am

Ilina_Young wrote:the details on the Island are left blank for the same reason the powers are left generic in the core rulebook. as a GM, you are supposed to put your own spin on the island, just as players in certain other settings are expected to describe thier own powers. as you can probably tell in every other book, there isn't a power that lets you substitute a skill you don't have with your arcane skill. at the same time, the horrors of the Island are up to you.

A simple "AFAIK, this is left for GM development" is all you needed here. The rest comes off as unnecessarily condescending.

a good one i recommend is Fey, because they started horror and were the origin of stories told to frighten children with the intent to encourage positive behaviors. since it is a north american tribal place, i recommend Skinwalkers or Wendigo.

Thanks for the suggestions.
John W. Thompson

The Dead Ranger
Seasoned

#5 Postby The Dead Ranger » Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:59 am

serquet wrote:My take is it was left open as a plot hook for the GM; I'm not aware of any other 'official' story about it. I'm working the island into the RTU plot point I'm currently working on writing.

I was unsure as 12 to Midnight has a bunch of other stuff out for Pinebox that predate the ETU books by a good bit. I thought, from the presentation that there might have been something in another supplement that I missed.

So, unless someone official comments otherwise, I'm assuming there's nothing else in print about it.

Thanks for the input.
John W. Thompson

DHRDawg
Veteran

#6 Postby DHRDawg » Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:24 am

There is one small thing in the Kelley's Bane One-Sheet that mentions Dale Island and Lake Greystone. I integrated that seed into a bit more in my campaign, tying in Kelley Foote a little bit more to the setting. I'm on my second group and second campaign of running Degrees of Horror and so far I've had no takers in investigating the Manor. I think after the events on the lake in a previous Plot Point they all got a bit scared and want nothing to do with that island. :twisted:

https://www.peginc.com/store/kelleys-bane/

Clint
Site Admin

#7 Postby Clint » Thu Oct 13, 2016 12:49 pm

The Dead Ranger wrote:So, unless someone official comments otherwise, I'm assuming there's nothing else in print about it.

There's nothing officially released about the house on Dale Island. Can't say what the future holds, but for now, it's open.
Clint Black
Savage Worlds Core Rules Brand Manager

www.peginc.com

The Dead Ranger
Seasoned

#8 Postby The Dead Ranger » Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:26 pm

DHRDawg wrote:There is one small thing in the Kelley's Bane One-Sheet that mentions Dale Island and Lake Greystone. I integrated that seed into a bit more in my campaign, tying in Kelley Foote a little bit more to the setting. I'm on my second group and second campaign of running Degrees of Horror and so far I've had no takers in investigating the Manor. I think after the events on the lake in a previous Plot Point they all got a bit scared and want nothing to do with that island. :twisted:

https://www.peginc.com/store/kelleys-bane/

Cool, thanks for the info!
John W. Thompson

The Dead Ranger
Seasoned

#9 Postby The Dead Ranger » Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:27 pm

Clint wrote:
The Dead Ranger wrote:So, unless someone official comments otherwise, I'm assuming there's nothing else in print about it.

There's nothing officially released about the house on Dale Island. Can't say what the future holds, but for now, it's open.

Thanks!
John W. Thompson

DHRDawg
Veteran

#10 Postby DHRDawg » Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:52 am

Ed Wetterman mentions Dale Island with his interview on the Wild Die Podcast that was just released...

http://thewilddie.podbean.com/e/episode ... wetterman/

Jackson
Veteran

#11 Postby Jackson » Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:08 pm

So, here's the story. I wrote House on Dale Island as the *ahem* Pinnacle of Haunted Houses with a huge history of Pinebox and Golan County. But, I'm not happy with it just yet. Met with Shane recently and we discussed it. I will lay into it again soon and hopefully get it out for ya'll. I love it, and maybe my expectations of it are too grand.
Keep it coming...

East Texas University....enroll for the Fall Semester Now!

lordrahvin
Novice

#12 Postby lordrahvin » Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:44 pm

serquet wrote:into the RTU plot point I'm currently working on

Rest Texas University?

DMbobby
Seasoned

#13 Postby DMbobby » Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:00 am

Jackson wrote:So, here's the story. I wrote House on Dale Island as the *ahem* Pinnacle of Haunted Houses with a huge history of Pinebox and Golan County. But, I'm not happy with it just yet. Met with Shane recently and we discussed it. I will lay into it again soon and hopefully get it out for ya'll. I love it, and maybe my expectations of it are too grand.

Hurrah for possibly more ETU books, this is easily my favorite setting and even got my wife into gaming. Noticed last week the last adventure came out almost a year ago and made me wonder if more was in the works still.
New blog up and running, http://gmtable.blogspot.com/ Reviews, adventures, tips and tricks for GMs

The Dead Ranger
Seasoned

#14 Postby The Dead Ranger » Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:30 pm

Jackson wrote:So, here's the story. I wrote House on Dale Island as the *ahem* Pinnacle of Haunted Houses with a huge history of Pinebox and Golan County. But, I'm not happy with it just yet. Met with Shane recently and we discussed it. I will lay into it again soon and hopefully get it out for ya'll. I love it, and maybe my expectations of it are too grand.

Thanks for the info. That clears things up.
John W. Thompson

bloodshadows
Heroic

#15 Postby bloodshadows » Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:03 am

I did an initial playtest of House on Dale Island for Ed years ago. So, i can tell you two things: it does indeed exist and of the three characters that went in from my group, only one came out and he spent his remaining years in an asylum.
Mike Dukes

Jackson
Veteran

#16 Postby Jackson » Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:06 pm

I am currently rewriting House on Dale Island. Don't have any idea when it will be coming out, but I can tell you that we will have some awesome support for ETU soon.

Thanks for your interest,

Ed
Keep it coming...

East Texas University....enroll for the Fall Semester Now!

DMbobby
Seasoned

#17 Postby DMbobby » Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:35 pm

Jackson wrote:I am currently rewriting House on Dale Island. Don't have any idea when it will be coming out, but I can tell you that we will have some awesome support for ETU soon.

Thanks for your interest,

Ed

So happy to hear this. Easily my favorite setting.
New blog up and running, http://gmtable.blogspot.com/ Reviews, adventures, tips and tricks for GMs

Snate56
Legendary

#18 Postby Snate56 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:51 am

bloodshadows wrote:I did an initial playtest of House on Dale Island for Ed years ago. So, i can tell you two things: it does indeed exist and of the three characters that went in from my group, only one came out and he spent his remaining years in an asylum.

Yep, real estate agents can do that to ya....

SteveN
"Politicians and diapers must be changed often, and for the same reasons."
>Mark Twain<

engineofdifference
Novice

#19 Postby engineofdifference » Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:09 pm

Best news of 2017, so far :D

Return to “SW Pinnacle Original Settings & Companions”