where is the mantid hiding?

Information and comments on all Pinnacle original Savage Settings plus our genre-based Companions. Please note the product with an abbreviation in the Subject line (ex. [FC] for Fantasy Companion, [NE] for Necessary Evil, and so on). Note: Deadlands has its own forum below as do licensed settings.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

danielbelum
Novice

where is the mantid hiding?

#1 Postby danielbelum » Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:54 am

I see occasionally comments about Mantid's, such as "The Savage Worlds main book has the avion, mantid..." but my book does not have them. Where can I find them? I have a player that wants to play one but beyond picturing Zorak I'm not sure about themm

ValhallaGH
Legendary

Re: where is the mantid hiding?

#2 Postby ValhallaGH » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:33 am

People are misleading you. There is no mantid.

In the core rules, there are: Android, Atlantean, Avion, Dwarf, Elf, Half-Elf, Half-Folk, Half-Orc, Human, Rakashan, Saurian.
In the sci-fi companion there are: Aquarian, Aurax, Avion, Construct (android), Deader, Floran, Human, Insectoid, Kalian, Rakashan, Saurian, Serran, Yeti.
The Insectoid is a human-sized ant-mantis alien species, with a tough carapace, sharp pincers, alien mentalities, and an inability to speak like humans. Basically a big, bipedal ant.
"Got a problem? I've got the solution: Rocket Launcher."
"Not against a Servitor."
"... We're all gonna die."

Snate56
Legendary

#3 Postby Snate56 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:11 am

That's funny, I seem to remember some past reference to Mantid as well...

Anyway, when I picture a Mantid race, I think of "Nor Crystal Tears" by Allen Dean Foster. Give it a read, good book.

Gives you a whole culture, physiology, naming guidelines, etc., for a species known as the Thranx.

SteveN
"Politicians and diapers must be changed often, and for the same reasons."
>Mark Twain<

Clint
Site Admin

#4 Postby Clint » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:28 am

Snate56 wrote:That's funny, I seem to remember some past reference to Mantid as well...

Last time Mantids were in the book was SW Revised over 10 years ago now. Closest thing would be the Insectoids from the SFC or just creating an insect-based race using the Race Creation rules (though again, the version in the SFC is most recent).

Honestly not much to the old version. In modern terms they'd be...

Armor: Chitinous shell provides +2 natural Armor (does not stack with worm armor).
Leaping: Double jumping distance and add +1d6" with successful Strength roll
Outsider: -2 Charisma with non-Mantids.

Even that leaves them an additional point to use, so maybe add...

Pincers: Natural weapons which do Str+d6 damage and does not count as an Unarmed Defender.

That's about it.
Clint Black
Savage Worlds Core Rules Brand Manager

www.peginc.com

danielbelum
Novice

#5 Postby danielbelum » Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:55 pm

thank you!

I pictured them as Zorak

Return to “SW Pinnacle Original Settings & Companions”