[SPC2] Beastmaster

Information and comments on all Pinnacle original Savage Settings plus our genre-based Companions. Please note the product with an abbreviation in the Subject line (ex. [FC] for Fantasy Companion, [NE] for Necessary Evil, and so on). Note: Deadlands has its own forum below as do licensed settings.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

chiefarchon
Novice

[SPC2] Beastmaster

#1 Postby chiefarchon » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:19 am

hi there

I'm trying to create a beastmaster, who is a character that can summon any time of animal of size 0 or less. how would I achieve this please. Would I just purchase Animal control at 1 level, or would I have to purchase animal control for every type of animal, or is there some sort of multishape modifier required.

Thanks for the help.

please note i'm not talking about someone who could take on one or two forms, but any animal of size 0 or less.

ValhallaGH
Legendary

Re: [SPC2] Beastmaster

#2 Postby ValhallaGH » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:38 am

Animal Control wrote:The hero has the ability to mentally control and communicate with natural animals up to one mile distant.
The character can control a number of creatures equal to his level in this ability. Two creatures with a Size of –3 or –2 count as one, and a creature of Size –1 or 0 counts as one. Larger creatures count as one plus their Size. A lion (Size +2) counts as three creatures, for example, while a rhino (Size +4), counts as 5.
Rats, insects, and smaller creatures may be controlled as swarms. Medium-sized swarms can split, use a Medium Burst Template, and count as two creatures. Small swarms (Small Burst Template, cannot split) count as 1.
The character can communicate with the animals under his command, but the beasts are ruled by instinct and tend to have very short memories. They might remember that “two-legs” passed by their home recently, but wouldn’t likely recall any significant details about them.

Power already does what you want it to do. Just take enough levels to control your usual number of creatures and you'll be fine; alternately, take The Best There Is edge for animal control and buy as many levels as you can, letting you control vast numbers of creatures simultaneously. If you want to actually SUMMON the creatures, instead of using the ones already present, then take the Summonable modifier. If the character cannot control creatures larger than Size +0 (i.e. human sized) then a minor (-1) Limitation would be appropriate.
"Got a problem? I've got the solution: Rocket Launcher."
"Not against a Servitor."
"... We're all gonna die."

chiefarchon
Novice

#3 Postby chiefarchon » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:54 am

ValhallaGH wrote:
Power already does what you want it to do. Just take enough levels to control your usual number of creatures and you'll be fine; alternately, take The Best There Is edge for animal control and buy as many levels as you can, letting you control vast numbers of creatures simultaneously. If you want to actually SUMMON the creatures, instead of using the ones already present, then take the Summonable modifier. If the character cannot control creatures larger than Size +0 (i.e. human sized) then a minor (-1) Limitation would be appropriate.

Thank you so much valhallaGH
The problem arose because I have one player in my game who insists that, as there are no examples in the book of characters who can control more than a single type of creature, that this meant you were only purchasing a single type of creature that you could control.

ValhallaGH
Legendary

#4 Postby ValhallaGH » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:07 am

The book also has no examples of characters that turn into giant rampaging dinosaurs, and then turn back into normal humans to escape consequences for their actions. But it does provide all the rules you need for the powers to do that. 8)

Pied Piper has a Major Limitation (only rat swarms).
Mako has a Major Limitation (only sharks).
Ghoul has a Major Limitation (only carrion eaters).
Ratkin has a Major Limitation (only rat swarms).

Only controlling one kind of creature is a MAJOR LIMITATION of the power, worth a -2 to the final cost (effectively a free level of the power). Contentions otherwise are easily discredited.
"Got a problem? I've got the solution: Rocket Launcher."
"Not against a Servitor."
"... We're all gonna die."

chiefarchon
Novice

#5 Postby chiefarchon » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:49 pm

Again Thanks to all for helping me. I must admit that now that I look at the [spc2] fully it is much better explained that [spc1] which was what we started using (we only crossed over to [spc2] 3 days ago). I didn't notice that the example characters had all chaged their writeup regarding shapechange and Animal control to now show it as a major limitation.

Return to “SW Pinnacle Original Settings & Companions”