Home-Brew Setting: Cold Suns (Sci Fi & Fantasy Mashup)

Please use carefully and respect the copyrights of the works you convert by placing the appropriate information on your documents.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

moonowl67
Seasoned

Re: Home-Brew Setting: Cold Suns (Sci Fi & Fantasy Mashup)

#21 Postby moonowl67 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:06 pm

I added this little setting rule:

Power Backlashes: as with the standard No Power Points rules, a power will backlash when the player rolls a 1 on his ‘casting’ die, regardless of the Wild Result. Unlike in the standard rules, this does not automatically mean that the power failures. In Cold Suns, your power can backlash, but still succeed!.

I changed the failure result for AB: Advanced Technology and included a handy chart on page 24 to help compare and contrast the the various Arcane Backgrounds.

Made some slight changes to the Alchemy Arcane background, eliminated the Psychic trapping.

moonowl67
Seasoned

#22 Postby moonowl67 » Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:33 am

Revisited how Psionics, Mystical, and Sorcerous Powers interact with cybernetics. Just a slight tweak, and filled in a gap.

This makes version 7 or so! Note to the community; if you choose to create your own arcane backgrounds and differentiate their mechanics (as I did), prepare for a bit of play-testing. Thankfully, none of this has impacted the narrative of my game over-much.

moonowl67
Seasoned

#23 Postby moonowl67 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:01 am

So, I came across a fan-created free-form No Power Points system created by zelenerth, and liked it so much that I incorporated it into Cold Suns (after some modifications). The Way represents an understanding of the universe steeped in magic and mysticism. Unfettered by the usual rules regarding spells and miraculous abilities (I.E predefined powers), it can be a quick route to power, but not without dangers. Those who practice it run the additional risk of catching the attention of the feared Fernum and the mysterious Vol-Hall. Use with The Way caution . . .

moonowl67
Seasoned

#24 Postby moonowl67 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:21 pm

Made a tweak to the way casting chart ...

Return to “SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions”