Saga of the Goblin Horde

Please use carefully and respect the copyrights of the works you convert by placing the appropriate information on your documents.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

Zadmar
Legendary

Saga of the Goblin Horde

#1 Postby Zadmar » Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:53 am

For time immemorial, goblins have been mercilessly hunted down and killed by the so-called "civilized" humans, slaughtered in droves for the entertainment of bloodthirsty adventurers. But everyone has their limits, even the underdogs.

The pathetic goblins who eke out a living near the human lands are weak and timid, the aggression bred out of them through generations of culling, with only the most cowardly among them managing to survive. But the feral goblins of the western tribes are another matter entirely, as the rapidly encroaching scourge of human civilization is about to discover.

On the border between the goblin and human lands, the goblins are scattered and disorganized, and mostly consist of small families huddled together in caves. Bands of humans frequently attack these underground warrens, stealing whatever they can carry and leaving a pile of corpses in their wake. In their ignorance, the humans have come to assume that these tame and sniveling goblins are representative of the entire race.

Driven by their insatiable greed and bloodlust, the humans have pushed ever deeper into goblin territory, and the tribes have finally taken notice.
Back in December last year I decided to try my hand at writing a One Sheet, which I've since expanded into a full setting. I've discussed it in a few other threads (here, here, here and here), and there are a couple of "actual play" reports (here and here), but I thought it might be better to have a central thread where I can give an overview of the setting and post updates.

Overview

Saga of the Goblin Horde is a campaign setting which focuses on a relatively small geographical area, and follows the great war between humans and goblins, with everything described from the goblin perspective. The players take on the role of vicious goblinoid gang bosses from the Redfang tribe, leading the war effort against the relentless tide of humanity.

The setting is dark fantasy with black humor, and while the characters' antics can be somewhat comical at times, these are not the bumblingly incompetent goblins you might envision from other settings; the gang bosses are ruthless and deadly.

Archetypes and One Sheets

There are currently four PDFs available for Saga of the Goblin Horde - the archetypes, and three One Sheet adventures (Sanguine Solstice, Bone of Contention, and Egg Hunt). The archetypes PDF also includes the rules for gangs, so there's already everything you need to run a few adventures.

Setting Book

The full setting book is currently around 75% complete, although I've already finished the difficult parts, so I hope to finalize it by the end of the year. Saga of the Goblin Horde will be smaller than most setting books, probably something in the region of 60 pages, as it's designed to be a relatively small and light setting with a low entry barrier - the sort of setting a GM can familiarize themselves with in half an hour. Much like 50 Fathoms, most of the setting will be revealed through the adventures.

The setting book will only contain a few adventures, the others will be released as a series of One Sheets, and I'll probably aim to release them at the rate of one per month. Some of these adventures will be linked together, allowing them to be played as episodes of a Plot Point Campaign.

Image Image

Custom Deck of Cards

I've also been designing a custom deck of cards, which doubles up as an adventure generator, name generator, and item generator. The cards will be system-agnostic, tied to the Saga of the Goblin Horde setting, but not to Savage Worlds.
My blog: Savage Stuff. I've also written some free tools and supplements.

DHRDawg
Veteran

Re: Saga of the Goblin Horde

#2 Postby DHRDawg » Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:31 am

I'm very excited about this. Everything looks fantastic.

Zadmar
Legendary

#3 Postby Zadmar » Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:09 am

Thanks! I've produced a lot of supplements over the last few years, but this is the first time I've tried to create an entire setting. I'm really pleased with the way it's coming together though, so hopefully it'll be worth the wait!

Caveman
Novice

#4 Postby Caveman » Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:15 am

This sounds awesome - can't wait to see more as it develops!
- Dave R

"Sometimes when I look at my computer screen, I wonder - are there little demons inside drawing the letters? I don't know! I'm just a simple caveman. My primitive mind can't grasp these concepts."

ManuFS
Novice

#5 Postby ManuFS » Fri Oct 14, 2016 6:59 am

As somebody who had the pleasure of getting to play it twice already*, I second that sentiment. I am very much looking forward to the finished product. :)

*reports of those games are available:
https://plus.google.com/u/0/+ManuelSamb ... BSEFtvJtHu
https://savage-german.blogspot.de/2016/ ... inues.html
The Savage German
My blog about all things Savage Worlds I do.

Savage Shadowrun Second Edition
My conversion bringing the second edition of Shadowrun to Savage Worlds

Zadmar
Legendary

#6 Postby Zadmar » Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:11 am

It's just two weeks until Halloween, so I decided it's time to release the fourth One Sheet: Samhain Surprise!

For this One Sheet I also teamed up with Frank Turfler of Middle Kingdoms Adventure & Trading Company, who has created a set of free maps designed to go with the adventure. You can download the maps from here, here and here.

Zadmar
Legendary

#7 Postby Zadmar » Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:27 pm

I recently ordered some custom laser-engraved Wild Dice for Saga of the Goblin Horde - 16mm green oblivion dice with my goblin logo in place of the 6 spot. They finally arrived, and this is what they look like!

Brickulos
Veteran

#8 Postby Brickulos » Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:29 pm

This looks amazing! Did you get licensed? I can't wait to get my hands on the book.

Zadmar
Legendary

#9 Postby Zadmar » Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:44 pm

Brickulos wrote:This looks amazing! Did you get licensed? I can't wait to get my hands on the book.

Thanks for the kind words! Unfortunately I would need to delete most of my fan creations before I could apply to become a licensee, and I'm not willing to do that, so Saga of the Goblin Horde will be released for free under the fan license. I'm hoping to recoup my artwork costs by selling the system-agnostic deck of cards, and expanding out into other roleplaying systems.

Zadmar
Legendary

#10 Postby Zadmar » Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:04 pm

New One Sheet: Root of the Problem

A nobleman has become frustrated with all the goblins hunting his knights and eating their succulent steeds, so he has ordered his druid adviser to create a horse that tastes so bad not even a goblin will eat it.

This initially seemed an impossible task, but then the druid discovered the one thing goblins won’t eat...vegetables!

Zadmar
Legendary

#11 Postby Zadmar » Thu Nov 24, 2016 6:18 pm

New Archetype: Barghest Whelp

This particular archetype is a nod to D&D, where the barghests are demonic goblin-lupine-like creatures capable of shapechanging into wolves and goblins. In Saga of the Goblin Horde, barghests are lycanthrope-like goblins capable of shifting into wolf and hybrid forms.

Deskepticon
Veteran

#12 Postby Deskepticon » Thu Nov 24, 2016 7:08 pm

Another great addition to an already impressive list. And the nostalgia factor doesn't hurt either.

Zadmar wrote:Custom Deck of Cards

I've also been designing a custom deck of cards, which doubles up as an adventure generator, name generator, and item generator. The cards will be system-agnostic, tied to the Saga of the Goblin Horde setting, but not to Savage Worlds.

Are the plans to release the cards and setting book at the same time? And this may be wishful thinking, but will the goblin dice be available for purchase as well?

Zadmar
Legendary

#13 Postby Zadmar » Thu Nov 24, 2016 7:28 pm

Deskepticon wrote:Another great addition to an already impressive list. And the nostalgia factor doesn't hurt either.

Thanks!

Deskepticon wrote:Are the plans to release the cards and setting book at the same time?

Yes, that's the plan. I need to sell something on DTRPG before I can release free content there (the setting book will be free due to the fan license), so the easiest way to do that is probably to upload the cards first. The cards don't reference Savage Worlds, so they'll fall outside the scope of the license.

Deskepticon wrote:And this may be wishful thinking, but will the goblin dice be available for purchase as well?

Not really viable I'm afraid, due to the cost of postage. I could provide the vector image if you wanted to order your own though.

Deskepticon
Veteran

#14 Postby Deskepticon » Thu Nov 24, 2016 7:40 pm

Deskepticon wrote:And this may be wishful thinking, but will the goblin dice be available for purchase as well?

Not really viable I'm afraid, due to the cost of postage. I could provide the vector image if you wanted to order your own though.

Thank you. I'll let you know.
I was asking because 1) they look sweet, and 2) I want to give you money because I will definately be running this setting. :D

Zadmar
Legendary

#15 Postby Zadmar » Fri Nov 25, 2016 3:12 am

Deskepticon wrote:

Thank you. I'll let you know.
I was asking because 1) they look sweet, and 2) I want to give you money because I will definately be running this setting. :D

Thanks for the vote of confidence! As I said though, the setting itself will be free, so you'll be able to check it out first to see if you like it. It'll probably only contain a couple of adventures, although there are now five One Sheets (and another planned for next month), plus the cards contain a rather nifty adventure generator.

I've spent most of my free time over the last couple of months designing my own roleplaying system, and I hope to start playtesting it early next month. The plan is to release one version of SotGH with my own system built-in as a PYWY product, and another as a free Savage Worlds conversion under the fan license.

The cards will be available as PDF or PoD, and will work for both systems, as they are system-agnostic.

Then I plan to sell SotGH adventure bundles for my own system, and offer a free SW conversion guide. The conversion is very straightforward, so it should be pretty easy to use the adventures with Savage Worlds.

Deskepticon
Veteran

#16 Postby Deskepticon » Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:48 am

Zadmar wrote:Thanks for the vote of confidence! As I said though, the setting itself will be free, so you'll be able to check it out first to see if you like it. It'll probably only contain a couple of adventures, although there are now five One Sheets...

All of which I downloaded, along with the three maps and Archetypes packet. :D
I've also begun designing some of my own adventures and lore, but I don't want to get too attached to that yet in case it conflicts with the official setting.

Our group is on hiatus until after the holidays. But once we get back together I want to run a short Guns of Megiddo campaign to get the juices flowing. Hopefully by then SotGH would be out and ready to go.

...plus the cards contain a rather nifty adventure generator.

Should prove helpful. :D

Zadmar
Legendary

#17 Postby Zadmar » Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:39 pm

New One Sheet: Sleigh Heist

On the same night every year, a mysterious red-robed sorcerer flies his enchanted sleigh to a nearby human settlement, dropping various wrapped packages down the chimneys before making his escape. The goblins admire his courage and tenacity, but not his success rate; as far as they can tell, none of the houses have ever blown up, or even burned down. The sorcerer clearly has no experience with explosives, and so the infamous gremlin artificer Grinchie Charfoot has decided it’s time for the professionals to take over.

Zadmar
Legendary

#18 Postby Zadmar » Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:42 am

New Archetype: Goblin Priestess

We're over half way through December, so it's time for the thirteenth archetype, and now that the "Gods and Magic" chapter of the setting book is complete, I decided it would be a good time to add the goblin priestess.

Zadmar
Legendary

#19 Postby Zadmar » Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:51 pm

New Archetype: Hobgoblin Marauder

A new year means a new month, and therefore a new archetype. There are five races in Saga of the Goblin Horde, and I've previously covered four of them (bugbear, goblin, gremlin and half-human), so for the fourteenth archetype I've decided to explore the final race: the hobgoblin!

Zadmar
Legendary

#20 Postby Zadmar » Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:29 am

New Archetype: Troblin Rat Handler

I released the first four archetypes for Saga of the Goblin Horde back in March last year, and promised I would release another archetype every month until I'd finished them all. That time has finally arrived. After working on the setting for fifteen months, I'm proud to present the fifteenth and final archetype: the troblin rat handler!

Return to “SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions”