[SR] Our Savage Rifts Characters

Information and comments on all Pinnacle licensed Savage Settings. Please note the product with an abbreviation in the Subject line (ex. [SR] for Savage Rifts®, [6G] for The Sixth Gun, [SK] for Solomon Kane, and so on). Note: Licensee settings by 3rd parties are below.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

pkitty
Seasoned

Re: [SR] Our Savage Rifts Characters

#21 Postby pkitty » Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:39 pm

Here's my latest starting character:

"Scrappy," the Dog Boy M.A.R.S. Merc Soldier (PDF character sheet)

At first I was planning to just play around with the cheezy "one uber stat" Dog Boy build, but then this guy gradually developed out of it and I really like him. He's a decent threat on the battlefield, especially since he's really damn good at recovering from Shaken and soaking wounds, but he also has a lot of utility out of a fight as well. Obviously a lot of his placeholder (d4) skills need bumping, but I'd definitely play this guy in a game, especially since I love how his Hindrances and race fit together so well. And to be honest, my favorite part is that I like the idea of a dog boy commander literally "barking out orders" on the battlefield. :)

Edited to add two things. First, I found some cool concept art of a Border Collie Dog Boy in powered armor. Second, any M.A.R.S. Merc Soldier can start with Gladius armor (Strength d12+2) and a Thunderer Combat Hammer, which does an average of 28 points of Mega-Damage per swing. Ouch.
Last edited by pkitty on Fri Aug 05, 2016 6:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Fan of Deadlands, quickly becoming a fan of Savage Rifts.
My Savage Rifts house rules, resources, and sample characters.

pkitty
Seasoned

#22 Postby pkitty » Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:59 am

I also took a minute to swap races on my (technically illegal) Fennodi Techno-Wizard, turning him into a D'Norr. For obvious reasons, the result was much more potent. In addition to the extra PPE, the stat boosts freed up room for another Edge, so I turned his Rich into Filthy Rich to score him a sweet suit of upgraded Combat Mage Armor.

Aaron Pendleton, D'Norr Techno-Wizard (PDF)

I still like the feel of the original Fennodi build, but this is a ridiculously useful character. The TK Revolver and grenades keep him useful in a serious fight, but if things are bad he's more likely to just hop into the ATV and use the laser. By the next rank, he'll basically be a full Techno-Wizard/Operator combo, plus exceptional sneakiness.

Ndreare
Seasoned

#23 Postby Ndreare » Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:22 am

The Techno-Wizard looks awesome

SavageGamerGirl
Legendary

#24 Postby SavageGamerGirl » Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:10 am

pkitty wrote:I still like the feel of the original Fennodi build, but this is a ridiculously useful character. The TK Revolver and grenades keep him useful in a serious fight, but if things are bad he's more likely to just hop into the ATV and use the laser. By the next rank, he'll basically be a full Techno-Wizard/Operator combo, plus exceptional sneakiness.

Maybe you could make a Fennodi M.A.R.S. Psi-Operator? It's not quite a techno-wizard, but it is the closest you can get with a psionic character.
'But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
'Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: 'we're all mad here.'
The Order of the Dice... OF DOOM!

Ndreare
Seasoned

#25 Postby Ndreare » Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:19 am

Or, you could just make your own race?

pkitty
Seasoned

#26 Postby pkitty » Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:18 pm

I appreciate the suggestions, but don't worry about it. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, our group is fine with the original version (the Fennodi TW) because we see "racial AB" and "framework AB" as two different, compatible things (at least, in Savage Rifts specifically). So I could play Zelin (the original PC) if I wanted! I just thought it would be interesting to adapt that build to a different PC -- a focused and dedicated magician -- and see how potent it is. (Answer: Pretty potent!)

pkitty
Seasoned

#27 Postby pkitty » Fri Aug 05, 2016 3:33 pm

And now a more legitimate build for a Fennodi:

Xavier Talus, Fennodi Rogue Scholar / Wheelman / Master Psi (PDF)

My concept was an "cyberkinetic investigator" who relied on the Telepathy + Telemechanics boost; making him a vehicular whiz was an obvious secondary goal. And he turned out insanely competent: d8+6 to bypass electronic security or search through records, d8+4 to drive or to spot most clues, and d8+2 for most ranged attacks (personal or in vehicle). He's definitely fragile, but his first combat action will be mega-Armor, giving him -1 to be shot and Toughness 21 (7+14 MDC) (+5 on a raise); he's getting Danger Sense ASAP.

What's funny is that I originally tried to build him as a Mind-Melter and was underwhelmed. Better combat potential, sure, but after buying Telemechanics I couldn't get enough skills to truly take advantage of it. Then, as I seem to keep returning to, I tried a MARS build and now he just shines. (And it's great to see that "Scholar" is finally a viable character type in Rifts!)

pkitty
Seasoned

#28 Postby pkitty » Wed Aug 10, 2016 5:43 pm

Am I addicted to making new characters? Possibly. :)

Donny Hotchkiss, Cybernetic Human Glitter Boy

Unlike my last three, I'll probably never play Donny, but he was a fun experiment to see what happens when you mix heavy cybernetics with the Glitter Boy IF. The answer (in this case) is someone impossible to surprise who basically never misses. The one thing he desperately needs is a "sidearm" weapon, like a light rail gun, but that can be acquired later.

wanderingmystic
Seasoned

#29 Postby wanderingmystic » Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:55 pm

Pkitty, just so you know I asked Clint about TW weapons and armor being available if you rolled on the armor, ranged weapons, or close combat weapons charts and he said they are not. http://www.pegforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=49903#p445436

ValhallaGH
Legendary

#30 Postby ValhallaGH » Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:02 pm

pkitty wrote:Unlike my last three, I'll probably never play Donny, but he was a fun experiment to see what happens when you mix heavy cybernetics with the Glitter Boy IF. The answer (in this case) is someone impossible to surprise who basically never misses. The one thing he desperately needs is a "sidearm" weapon, like a light rail gun, but that can be acquired later.

Take a look at Upgrade. It's only available to Combat Cyborgs and M.A.R.S.
How did he get so many Hero's Journey rolls?
"Got a problem? I've got the solution: Rocket Launcher."
"Not against a Servitor."
"... We're all gonna die."

Damian Magecraft
Seasoned

#31 Postby Damian Magecraft » Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:10 pm

ValhallaGH wrote:
pkitty wrote:Unlike my last three, I'll probably never play Donny, but he was a fun experiment to see what happens when you mix heavy cybernetics with the Glitter Boy IF. The answer (in this case) is someone impossible to surprise who basically never misses. The one thing he desperately needs is a "sidearm" weapon, like a light rail gun, but that can be acquired later.

How did he get so many Hero's Journey rolls?
filthy rich edge
As a GM I live by one hard and fast rule:
It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"

ValhallaGH
Legendary

#32 Postby ValhallaGH » Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:24 pm

Yeah, that would do it. I keep forgetting about the changes to those two edges.

pkitty
Seasoned

#33 Postby pkitty » Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:54 pm

wanderingmystic wrote:Pkitty, just so you know I asked Clint about TW weapons and armor being available if you rolled on the armor, ranged weapons, or close combat weapons charts and he said they are not. http://www.pegforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=49903#p445436

That's an odd ruling IMO. It's not like any of the TW armors are any more overpowered than the Gladius and similar "power armor light" models. Is there some potential for abuse that I'm missing? Because if not, I don't really see a reason to interpret the tables that way (especially when nothing in the book even hints that this is the case, AFAIK). Seems like all it does is shaft the arcane folks.

ValhallaGH wrote:Take a look at Upgrade. It's only available to Combat Cyborgs and M.A.R.S.

That's a house rule; see link in my sig. Among other things, we figured that it was silly to let a M.A.R.S. Power Armor jock take Upgrade but then tell a Glitter Boy (whose build is basically the exact same thing, just with a nicer suit!) that he can't. So Glitter Boys can have whatever M.A.R.S. have.

wanderingmystic
Seasoned

#34 Postby wanderingmystic » Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:32 pm

Personally I agree, especially with the armor (some of the tw weapons however I feel are to powerful to be an option) but I just thought I would point it out.

Ndreare
Seasoned

#35 Postby Ndreare » Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:35 pm

I really like the characters, keep them coming.

ValhallaGH
Legendary

#36 Postby ValhallaGH » Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:32 pm

Ah. Yeah, house rules change things, and I can see why you have that one.

Notes on the linked page:
An acing d4 averages 3.33 (repeating).

Note that the RG-14 is a single shot weapon, RoF 1, unlike every other rail gun, so it does not suffer any automatic fire penalties. It's not subject to the notes on page 91 because it's a completely different design (and not in the Gear section at all). That's pretty clear reading the Boom Gun entry on page 22.
As written, Flame Blast and Rapid Flame Bolt can be used simultaneously. Negating that is fine, but it's definitely a house rule.
Everything else seems fine. Not for everyone, but fine. Nice job.

pkitty
Seasoned

#37 Postby pkitty » Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:08 pm

ValhallaGH wrote:Ah. Yeah, house rules change things, and I can see why you have that one.

You're right! Must've slipped a digit. Thanks; I'll fix that.

Note that the RG-14 is a single shot weapon, RoF 1, unlike every other rail gun, so it does not suffer any automatic fire penalties. It's not subject to the notes on page 91 because it's a completely different design (and not in the Gear section at all). That's pretty clear reading the Boom Gun entry on page 22.

I have to disagree that that interpretation is "pretty clear" -- the Boom Gun is described as firing "a hail of metal," not single shots, which perfectly matches the rule for rail guns that every RoF isn't a single shot but a "massive burst." Just as important, that rule isn't tied to RoF at all; it should be true whether a rail gun is RoF 1, 3, or 10.

So the real question here is "does the Boom Gun count as a rail gun for those rules?" To be safe, I've asked Clint what the intent was.

As written, Flame Blast and Rapid Flame Bolt can be used simultaneously. Negating that is fine, but it's definitely a house rule.

I looked for more details in the core SW book as to whether an attack could be rapid-fire and area effect. All I knew was that I definitely didn't see any examples of it, and IMO that combo seems (A) broken in terms of balance and (B) really difficult to visualize (I see an area-effect attack as filling the area for this combat turn -- so how would it do that three times for thrice the damage?)

At any rate, I like the Burster, but that framework definitely needs to be handled with care. :)

Thanks! I really do appreciate the feedback on them; I may not always agree with it, but I do always take it seriously and consider what may need to change.

Damian Magecraft
Seasoned

#38 Postby Damian Magecraft » Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:38 am

pkitty wrote:
ValhallaGH wrote:Ah. Yeah, house rules change things, and I can see why you have that one.

You're right! Must've slipped a digit. Thanks; I'll fix that.

I have to disagree that that interpretation is "pretty clear" -- the Boom Gun is described as firing "a hail of metal," not single shots, which perfectly matches the rule for rail guns that every RoF isn't a single shot but a "massive burst." Just as important, that rule isn't tied to RoF at all; it should be true whether a rail gun is RoF 1, 3, or 10.

So the real question here is "does the Boom Gun count as a rail gun for those rules?" To be safe, I've asked Clint what the intent was.

I looked for more details in the core SW book as to whether an attack could be rapid-fire and area effect. All I knew was that I definitely didn't see any examples of it, and IMO that combo seems (A) broken in terms of balance and (B) really difficult to visualize (I see an area-effect attack as filling the area for this combat turn -- so how would it do that three times for thrice the damage?)

At any rate, I like the Burster, but that framework definitely needs to be handled with care. :)

Thanks! I really do appreciate the feedback on them; I may not always agree with it, but I do always take it seriously and consider what may need to change.

Just a quick note about the boomgun.
While it does fire 200 1inch long flechettes those flechettes are projected from one shell (200 flechettes stacked in four rows of 50 inside a 7inch long shell). Making it an outlier (a sort of rail shotgun) in the railgun department.
As a GM I live by one hard and fast rule:

It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"

ValhallaGH
Legendary

#39 Postby ValhallaGH » Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:59 am

pkitty wrote:So the real question here is "does the Boom Gun count as a rail gun for those rules?" To be safe, I've asked Clint what the intent was.

Yep, I noticed that. But being in the official answers forum, I couldn't comment. Then you made it relevant here. :)
I understand wanting to wait for him. I was the same way about the super powers required to be "space proof" in the second edition of the Super Powers Companion.

pkitty wrote:I looked for more details in the core SW book as to whether an attack could be rapid-fire and area effect.

It is rare, because there are only a handful of grenade machine guns in the world. But there is precedent in the core rules, the 37mm AT Gun and 40mm Cannon have RoF 3 and 4 respectively, and place medium burst templates when using high explosive rounds. There's also the 20MGW laser, but let's ignore that. In the Hell on Earth: Reloaded setting there is a RoF 2 weapon using burst templates (40mm grenades; essentially the Mk 19 I linked above). Weird War 2 has a couple as well.
Not common, but it does exist.

For visualization, I just remember firing a burst of four to eight rounds from the Mk 19. Fun times (generally).

pkitty wrote: I really do appreciate the feedback on them; I may not always agree with it, but I do always take it seriously and consider what may need to change.

In my opinion, the best attitude to take when on a gaming forum.

Damien Magecraft wrote:Just a quick note about the boomgun.
While it does fire 200 1inch long flechettes those flechettes are projected from one shell (200 flechettes stacked in four rows of 50 inside a 7inch long shell). Making it an outlier (a sort of rail shotgun) in the railgun department.

Good to know, thank you. I was wondering about that, but don't own any of the books where the round is described in detail.

pkitty
Seasoned

#40 Postby pkitty » Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:35 pm

Damian Magecraft wrote:Just a quick note about the boomgun.

Okay, that makes sense. Clint explained it too. That's cool; it makes the Boom Gun a bit more unique.

Return to “SW Pinnacle Licensed Settings”