[SR] Our Savage Rifts Characters

Information and comments on all Pinnacle licensed Savage Settings. Please note the product with an abbreviation in the Subject line (ex. [SR] for Savage Rifts®, [6G] for The Sixth Gun, [SK] for Solomon Kane, and so on). Note: Licensee settings by 3rd parties are below.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

Spamotron
Novice

Re: [SR] Our Savage Rifts Characters

#41 Postby Spamotron » Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:47 pm

ValhallaGH wrote:
pkitty wrote:So the real question here is "does the Boom Gun count as a rail gun for those rules?" To be safe, I've asked Clint what the intent was.

Yep, I noticed that. But being in the official answers forum, I couldn't comment. Then you made it relevant here. :)
I understand wanting to wait for him. I was the same way about the super powers required to be "space proof" in the second edition of the Super Powers Companion.

pkitty wrote:I looked for more details in the core SW book as to whether an attack could be rapid-fire and area effect.

It is rare, because there are only a handful of grenade machine guns in the world. But there is precedent in the core rules, the 37mm AT Gun and 40mm Cannon have RoF 3 and 4 respectively, and place medium burst templates when using high explosive rounds. There's also the 20MGW laser, but let's ignore that. In the Hell on Earth: Reloaded setting there is a RoF 2 weapon using burst templates (40mm grenades; essentially the Mk 19 I linked above). Weird War 2 has a couple as well.
Not common, but it does exist.

For visualization, I just remember firing a burst of four to eight rounds from the Mk 19. Fun times (generally).

pkitty wrote: I really do appreciate the feedback on them; I may not always agree with it, but I do always take it seriously and consider what may need to change.

In my opinion, the best attitude to take when on a gaming forum.

Damien Magecraft wrote:Just a quick note about the boomgun.
While it does fire 200 1inch long flechettes those flechettes are projected from one shell (200 flechettes stacked in four rows of 50 inside a 7inch long shell). Making it an outlier (a sort of rail shotgun) in the railgun department.

Good to know, thank you. I was wondering about that, but don't own any of the books where the round is described in detail.

There's precedent for a high ROF weapon with AOE in the Player's guide iteself. Page 89 explains that all grenade launchers fire the same grenades as thrown. On page 93 The WI-GL20 Automatic Grenade Launcher has ROF 3 and Frag Grenades have Large Burst Template.

Freemage
Veteran

#42 Postby Freemage » Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:24 pm

So I decided to go with something a bit different. I present: Broken, Fennodi Crazy

I picked the HJ tables, then rolled five times, and distributed the numbers at will.

pkitty
Seasoned

#43 Postby pkitty » Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:50 pm

Freemage wrote:So I decided to go with something a bit different. I present: Broken, Fennodi Crazy

I picked the HJ tables, then rolled five times, and distributed the numbers at will.

Nice! There's something "wrong" (in a good way) about the concept of a Fennodi Crazy to me, so I like seeing one fully statted out like this. :)
Fan of Deadlands, quickly becoming a fan of Savage Rifts.
My Savage Rifts house rules, resources, and sample characters.

Freemage
Veteran

#44 Postby Freemage » Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:31 pm

pkitty wrote:
Freemage wrote:So I decided to go with something a bit different. I present: Broken, Fennodi Crazy

Nice! There's something "wrong" (in a good way) about the concept of a Fennodi Crazy to me, so I like seeing one fully statted out like this. :)

Yeah,t hat's the vibe I was going for. He's got a built-in tragic background--note the Delusion that his mate is still alive and right there with him. (I figure if he gets wounded and Loses It, M.O.M. actually makes him believe that the wound is on his mate--so he goes into a killing frenzy to 'save' them.) Add in the fact that his best psionic attack option is to sit in the party's vehicle, project astrally and then zoom around the battlefield with his Damage Field up, and he came out pretty terrifying.

pkitty
Seasoned

#45 Postby pkitty » Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:34 pm

Here's my take on the "wandering primitive holy man," a starting character with so many powers, they needed a separate sheet! Both are PDFs as usual.

Saoi "Sage" Cordatus, Simvan Mystic and Sage's Grimoire

Sage is annoyingly squishy, but in a really bad fight he's most likely to use Boost Trait and Quickness to buff his fury beetle, then hide and command him from a distance with Beast Friend. The Shard Pistol and two different Bolts make him capable of holding his own, though, and he's amazing at recon and intel. In addition, I was able to give him more "meta-magic" like Banish and Dispel, making him feel more like a classic "spellcaster."

pkitty
Seasoned

#46 Postby pkitty » Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:43 pm

I tried making a Glitter Boy "for real" this time, not just as an experiment in how tough I could make a cyberjock. The result:

Storm Carrus, Quick Flex "Glitter Girl"

She's still augmented, but not to the degree that Donny was, and the result is a more well-rounded character. Her chip ports and Array make her almost impossible to surprise and an incredibly accurate shot; for example, if she doesn't move, she rolls d12+6 for head shots with her laser at short range! (Note that the laser is a freebie, from one of our house rules that gives Glitter Boys a "sidearm"; see link below.) And stealth may be impossible in a Glitter Boy, but when she's out of her armor, she is incredibly stealthy and does extra damage on sneak attacks.

pkitty
Seasoned

#47 Postby pkitty » Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:35 pm

Harmony Gold, Altara "Glitter Girl"

Bonus points if you get the reference. Another "racial Glitter Boy" build, this time with an Altara, which demonstrates what an amazing "face" a GB can be, with Persuasion and Streetwise at d8+4. (And if she takes Charismatic and Very Attractive as her first two advances, that jumps to a ridiculous d8+8!) On top of that, her Danger Sense plus cyber-enhanced Notice of d12+6 makes her nearly impossible to ambush.

I think that's exhausted my urge to make Glitter Boys. I mainly did the three in this thread to help a fellow player see the wide range of approaches you could take while still following a build concept of "plenty of cybernetics, definitely including skill ports."
Last edited by pkitty on Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ndreare
Seasoned

#48 Postby Ndreare » Sat Aug 27, 2016 1:19 pm

I'm curious how you do the Warrior woman with the glitter boy combination. Are you considering there to be some sort of cyber Jack for her to get the targeting/visual information or are you considering she just relies on other senses?

pkitty
Seasoned

#49 Postby pkitty » Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:14 am

Ndreare wrote:I'm curious how you do the Warrior woman with the glitter boy combination. Are you considering there to be some sort of cyber Jack for her to get the targeting/visual information or are you considering she just relies on other senses?

Yeah, I figured that since she has the Core Electronics Package, she can just jack right into the GB and use its sensors that way.

Ndreare
Seasoned

#50 Postby Ndreare » Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:38 am

I plan on steeling all your characters and using them as examples for new players when thinking of inspiration.
I will of course credit you, but I like the way you are mixing races and frameworks, instead of just being flat human (what I tend to do).

pkitty
Seasoned

#51 Postby pkitty » Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:12 am

Ndreare wrote:I plan on steeling all your characters and using them as examples for new players when thinking of inspiration.
I will of course credit you, but I like the way you are mixing races and frameworks, instead of just being flat human (what I tend to do).

Thanks! I'm really glad you find them useful!

pkitty
Seasoned

#52 Postby pkitty » Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:35 pm

My first shot at a Burster. I took a straightforward "blaster" approach, focusing heavily on his flame bolt:

Aidan Kindle, human Burster

His family was caught between a CS/TF battle and killed, when he was younger. Now he works with the Tomorrow Legion to save others from a similar fate. His defense comes entirely from the combination of fiery aura and Greater Armor -- though he'll use just the latter (and his dinky laser pistol) in low-level scuffles where he doesn't want to reveal his true abilities.

(Includes one house rule: Flame Blast + Rapid Flame Bolt is treated as a single attack using the "3RB" rules: +2 to hit, +2 damage.)

pkitty
Seasoned

#53 Postby pkitty » Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:37 pm

Another player wanted some help coming up with a fun Combat Cyborg who would be devastating in a fight, but also had some personality and a wide range of utility:

Lee Hartman, Combat Cyborg, former drill sergeant

A confused Combat Cyborg whose transition into a machine body did not go quite as well as was intended, leaving him a bit addled. He's still a good guy, though, with a lot of experience and knowledge. I think the obvious route is for him to focus on leadership Edges (Command, etc.) from here out, as he "adjusts" and recalls his officer training.

pkitty
Seasoned

#54 Postby pkitty » Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:00 am

Helped another player put a dragon together. Man, are those simple to make! We spent more time picking out his psi than on anything else:

"Matt" (Tiamat), Flame-Wind Dragon Hatchling

Pretty straightforward. Note that as a house rule we do allow Edges like Brawler and Martial Artist to combine with natural attacks. I mean, when you're rolling d12+3d6+4, it's not like a d4 is what's going to break things. :)

pkitty
Seasoned

#55 Postby pkitty » Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:07 am

I started playing with combining the two "jack of all trades" concepts: the Vagabond's ability to make unskilled rolls at no penalty, and the ability from the Psionics table that lets you spend a Benny to swap Spirit for any roll. Since the D'Norr was a no-brainer there, I ended up being able to combine this with Master of Magic. The result:

Leon Ray, D'Norr Vagabond and Master of All Trades Including Magic

He effectively has every skill (except for many Knowledge skills) at d4 and gets six Bennies per session, any of which let him bump that to a d12 for a round (and +2 to his first roll against it, from Elan). Add in a Raise on Greater Boost Trait, and he's rolling d12 or as much as d12+6 if he's willing to spend a Benny! Crazy. And because M.A.R.S. characters get so many advances, I was able to pull this off while still creating a decent "master mage" character with seven powers (and what feels like 11 different spells thanks to trappings).

Hida Reju
Novice

#56 Postby Hida Reju » Thu Sep 01, 2016 12:15 am

pkitty wrote:Another player wanted some help coming up with a fun Combat Cyborg who would be devastating in a fight, but also had some personality and a wide range of utility:

Lee Hartman, Combat Cyborg, former drill sergeant

A confused Combat Cyborg whose transition into a machine body did not go quite as well as was intended, leaving him a bit addled. He's still a good guy, though, with a lot of experience and knowledge. I think the obvious route is for him to focus on leadership Edges (Command, etc.) from here out, as he "adjusts" and recalls his officer training.

I brought this up in another thread but Filthy Rich is almost too good of a Edge for non AB characters. Looks great thanks for crunching the math.

pkitty
Seasoned

#57 Postby pkitty » Thu Sep 01, 2016 12:24 am

Hida Reju wrote:I brought this up in another thread but Filthy Rich is almost too good of a Edge for non AB characters.

For cybernetic-focused characters, I consider Filthy Rich a must-take -- unless you have some really, really good reason to spend those two Edges elsewhere.

Looks great thanks for crunching the math.

I'm glad you liked it! I just have too much fun making these. :)

Hida Reju
Novice

#58 Postby Hida Reju » Thu Sep 01, 2016 2:10 am

pkitty wrote:
Hida Reju wrote:I brought this up in another thread but Filthy Rich is almost too good of a Edge for non AB characters.

For cybernetic-focused characters, I consider Filthy Rich a must-take -- unless you have some really, really good reason to spend those two Edges elsewhere.

Looks great thanks for crunching the math.

I'm glad you liked it! I just have too much fun making these. :)

It's even good for people that just want a few bits of Cyber and some custom armor or weapons. Just the first Edge "Rich" gives you 2 extra rolls and the Filthy Rich is just gravy at that point. Plus its the only way for a character other than MARS to start with a free vehicle.

Has anyone stated up a Dog Boy Cyber Knight yet? That sounds hilarious.

OracleBoyd
Novice

#59 Postby OracleBoyd » Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:17 pm

Hida Reju wrote:
I brought this up in another thread but Filthy Rich is almost too good of a Edge for non AB characters. Looks great thanks for crunching the math.

It's really good for almost anyone. Take a look at any of the Arcane frameworks (except Burster) with a suit of Combat Mage armour and 6-8 rolls on the Magic or Psionics tables.

Hida Reju
Novice

#60 Postby Hida Reju » Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:57 pm

OracleBoyd wrote:
Hida Reju wrote:

It's really good for almost anyone. Take a look at any of the Arcane frameworks (except Burster) with a suit of Combat Mage armour and 6-8 rolls on the Magic or Psionics tables.

The extra rolls are limited to Body Armor, Weapons, and Cybernetics no extra rolls on anything related to Magic or Psionics. You could use the Pick any armor option for the Combat Mage armor and trick it out a bit with some rolls on the Body armor chart.

Best case rolls would be +3 Armor and +2 embedded toughness for a total of 10 Armor +2 toughness, that takes 4 perfect rolls to get and is sub standard to the choice of the Gladius Exoskeleton battle armor that starts with +7 Armor, +2 toughness, Strength 1D12+2 and +2 pace for free then you could spend rolls on it to get extra coolness.

But I still don't think you get nearly the mileage as a cybernetic character getting free gear on top of their normal stuff.

Return to “SW Pinnacle Licensed Settings”