[SR] Our Savage Rifts Characters

Information and comments on all Pinnacle licensed Savage Settings. Please note the product with an abbreviation in the Subject line (ex. [SR] for Savage Rifts®, [6G] for The Sixth Gun, [SK] for Solomon Kane, and so on). Note: Licensee settings by 3rd parties are below.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

OracleBoyd
Novice

Re: [SR] Our Savage Rifts Characters

#61 Postby OracleBoyd » Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:04 am

Thanks Reju,

I had forgotten about the restrictions. Still, as you pointed out, you can grab your choice of Armor, a TW weapon and still have a roll to improve one or the other. Not a no-brainer, but really nice.

Brickulos
Veteran

#62 Postby Brickulos » Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:39 am

TW gear isn't covered by Rich or Filthy Rich.

OracleBoyd
Novice

#63 Postby OracleBoyd » Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:51 am

Brickulos wrote:TW gear isn't covered by Rich or Filthy Rich.

CCW table 1-4 choose any CCW weapon listed in this book
RW table 1-3 choose any RCW weapon listed in this book

ValhallaGH
Legendary

#64 Postby ValhallaGH » Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:04 am

Update your files. Those are now "You may add any non-TW Close Combat Weapon listed in this book".
"Got a problem? I've got the solution: Rocket Launcher."
"Not against a Servitor."
"... We're all gonna die."

Brickulos
Veteran

#65 Postby Brickulos » Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:09 am

Clint outlines it here viewtopic.php?f=62&t=49903

pkitty
Seasoned

#66 Postby pkitty » Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:31 am

Really what it boils down (IMO) to is that yes, there are still benefits to an Arcane character taking Filthy Rich, but it becomes a must-have for anyone focused on cybernetics and/or tech gear.

And I'm okay with that, because, while it's a cheap way to add the equivalent of 5-7 advances to your character, they're all limited by Technical Difficulties just like other gear. Sure, they're much more a part of you than normal gear, but it's still possible for your PC to be captured and lose them to your captors because they had a Cyber-Doc in their crew!
Fan of Deadlands, quickly becoming a fan of Savage Rifts.
My Savage Rifts house rules, resources, and sample characters.

Freemage
Veteran

#67 Postby Freemage » Sat Sep 03, 2016 12:52 pm

And also, don't forget that buying your cybergear is just a way of speeding starting power--eventually, you're going to be able to buy most of that stuff, anyway. In comparison to other settings where income actually is a thing, Rich/Filthy Rich are mainly just speed-alongs, and diminish in value the longer the character exists.

Ndreare
Seasoned

#68 Postby Ndreare » Sat Sep 03, 2016 1:17 pm

That Vagabond worked out pretty cool. I think he is my favorite of all the characters you have made so far.

I made a Dragon who started with Master of Magic and was thinking he was the coolest thing since sliced bread, but this guy is cooler.

Freemage
Veteran

#69 Postby Freemage » Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:14 pm

Addendum to my last post:

Interestingly, Rich/Filthy Rich may have more impact on a non-cybernetic character than I realized. In particular, rolls on the Body Armor table are quite likely to produce a piece of truly unique gear. I just witnessed a Ley Line Walker end up with a suit of UW-3C Urban Tactical armor that is +8A/+2T, has extended comm range, and grants a +1 to Vigor rolls. (Ranged and Close Combat weapon tables often produce items rather than modifications, so are less likely to yield this sort of result.)

Hida Reju
Novice

#70 Postby Hida Reju » Sun Sep 04, 2016 12:02 am

Freemage wrote:Addendum to my last post:

Interestingly, Rich/Filthy Rich may have more impact on a non-cybernetic character than I realized. In particular, rolls on the Body Armor table are quite likely to produce a piece of truly unique gear. I just witnessed a Ley Line Walker end up with a suit of UW-3C Urban Tactical armor that is +8A/+2T, has extended comm range, and grants a +1 to Vigor rolls. (Ranged and Close Combat weapon tables often produce items rather than modifications, so are less likely to yield this sort of result.)

You are correct Body Armor is the only Heroes Journey table that can let you pick from the entire list of body armors for a new one. As of right now that includes TW armors, unlike Close combat and Ranged Weapons.

MARS still has the best one with the MARS roll for a pick of any body armor with two upgrades of your choice off of this list.
That can then be pushed further with Body Armor upgrades. With 5 rolls on the Body armor table you could have a Suit of armor that is +5 Armor, +2 Toughness, -2 Str Die requirements, and +2 ranged all ranged attacks.

pkitty
Seasoned

#71 Postby pkitty » Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:10 pm

This is my first time creating a pair of characters -- a charismatic "front man" and his reclusive (but capable!) friend, acquired as a Sidekick. They operate a two-man Gunwolf together.

Samuel Cooke, Human Swashbuckler (M.A.R.S. Personal Concept)
Slim Berkowitz, Grackle Tooth Robot Armor Pilot

Samuel is built as much for social ability as for anything else, with amazing Charisma, two permanent Connections and I Know a Guy, and excellence at Test of Will. His array of bonuses make his skills pretty ridiculous, which is offset by how damn squishy he is. (I was hoping to roll some defensive cybernetics!!) Obviously, he's scariest when copiloting the Gunwolf. Also, damn but Personal Concepts end up with a lot of Edges!

Slim is focused more tightly on Gunwolf operation and repair, but also on survivability -- it sucks to lose a Sidekick, especially when you have a two-man vehicle! But he's an interesting guy in his own right; in fact, I actually built Slim first and it took me days to come up with a good concept for his "mentor" (I can't think of a better inverse term for "sidekick"). To be fair, since the Gunwolf is Slim's starting gear, it's keyed to Slim's biometrics, not Samuel's; if the Grackle Tooth ever dies, the GM is within rights to require serious effort and quests to let Samuel "unlock" it.

Freemage
Veteran

#72 Postby Freemage » Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:56 pm

Bad Dog, Dog-Boy Crazy

There's just something about Crazies, I guess. The Hero's Journey rolls really fit everything together. Bad Dog was a CS service grunt who went feral after something horrible went down on a mission. While trying to escape the Burbs, he stumbled into a Black Market facility where they sought to control him using a MOM--the idea was to take the naive pooch-man and turn him into a combination heavy-hitter/B&E man. (The MOM downloaded those oddball skills into his brain, and told him how to use them.) Of course, like most Crazies, he doesn't really like the voices in his head--he Lost It, killed his "handler" and is now ready to show up on the steps of Castle Refuge to see if they'll take in a Bad Dog like him. At least he's really good at being bad; that's something, right?

(His tracking/notice rolls are insane--technically, if the trap is something he can smell, like a poison needle, he's at d6+6. He really needs Danger Sense.)

pkitty
Seasoned

#73 Postby pkitty » Wed Sep 07, 2016 12:04 am

NICE. A Crazy that you really can't escape from. :)

Freemage
Veteran

#74 Postby Freemage » Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:24 am

And yet another one, because I apparently love the concept that much:

Thirst, the Left Hand of Shiva (Psi-Stalker Crazy)

I went with a different power-set and approach in building him, to keep him from being too close to Bad Dog. So if Dog Boy is the relentless tracker, this is the guy who comes up on his prey unseen, and strikes them down before they even know he's there (or at least, that it's him, and not a dear friend). At some point in his advancement, he'll need Master Psionic, just to get Mind Reading--then he can always manage to appear as someone trusted enough to get close enough for the sword to be put to work.

And once again, the Hero's Journey rolls really helped him come into concept. Admittedly, choosing the Champion Edge is probably pushing the 'no pre-requisites' concept from the Hero's Journey close to the breaking point, but I think it suits him, even so. The idea is that he was once just an urban psi-stalker (power set is great for getting close to a target in the city), but then he encountered something from a Rift (which he now claims was the Avatar of Shiva); he came away from that encounter with the MOM unit installed, and with a mission of protecting humanity from supernaturally evil creatures.

Who will MOM drive mad next? Find out next post, same Bat-[bleep] time, same Bat-[bleep] channel!

Hida Reju
Novice

#75 Postby Hida Reju » Sat Sep 10, 2016 11:52 pm

I hope I got this set up right but here we go

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xjt2k0fhyi9btq9/Rifts%20Psi-Gunslinger.txt?dl=0

Diego Mendoza Psi-Gunslinger
Down near the edge of the Pecos Empire it is a lawless place at times. It is home to Vampires, murders, and people on the run from everything. A hard place that can breed hard men and women.

So rose the tale of a Gunslinger born to simple stock. In some worlds he would have been a farmer until his family came down on the wrong side of a water dispute. His father shot, family burned out, and him nearly blinded put him on his path. A tale as old as time itself, Revenge.

The boy grew to a man his talents with Psi focused to one thing slaying those responsible. He gained his revenge against the family responsible for his loss but if there is one truth in this world it's that <B*stards> have brothers. Now he has a pack of gunslingers on his trail with their own axe to grind so it was time to move north.

ValhallaGH
Legendary

#76 Postby ValhallaGH » Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:26 am

Diego looks pretty cool, but how did he get Vigor d8?
His skills are off, since he spent skill points before his advances, so his Smarts-based skills were more expensive than they are listed. He's got 20 skill points (base 15 + 5 for Hero's Journey roll), but has spent 28 (most of the excess is on d8 in Smarts-skills).
Hindrances: Bad Eyes is a terrible hindrance for a gunman, but can work well for some characters. I'd drop the Arrogant for Enemy / Wanted (Major) and swap out Enemy (minor) for Vengeful (minor), because a man who lived for revenge should be a bit vengeful. And you can always append a few additional hindrances (for no character creation benefits) to reflect some of the other stuff going on in his past.

Aside, the core concept would be better served with a Quick or Level Headed edge than Master Psionic; those Mega powers are great, but not as great as going earlier in the round.
"Got a problem? I've got the solution: Rocket Launcher."
"Not against a Servitor."
"... We're all gonna die."

pkitty
Seasoned

#77 Postby pkitty » Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:16 am

I helped two more players make their PCs, both going with classic race/framework combos. The first is:

A'Kira Dolabra, D'Norr Ley Line Walker
A'kira's Grimoire Sheet

A'kira is not from Earth, but has spent much of his life visiting other worlds and decided that it was time to give Earth a try. He finds the people ("Dusties") and customs strange. He's heavily focused; he does magic, magic, and more magic. Taking the "auto-raise" option on Bolt makes it scary; he's almost as good a blaster as a Burster, and with a wider range of abilities.

pkitty
Seasoned

#78 Postby pkitty » Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:22 am

And the second character of the night is . . . a bit weird:

Steve Hayo, Trimadore Techno-Wizard

Steve Hayo (pronounced "HEY-OOOOoooooo!!") really wants to fit in. He doesn't. Maybe if he'd just stop touching everyone's face when he talked to them? Still, the Legion keeps him around because, even for a Techno-Wizard, he's an amazing repairman (His effective Repair typically ranges from d12+3 to d12+7, depending on what he's fixing.) Throw in an extensive array of knowledge and darn good techno-wizardry powers (with a heavy focus on defense and support), and you've got a solid addition to the party.

Freemage
Veteran

#79 Postby Freemage » Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:26 am

pkitty wrote:And the second character of the night is . . . a bit weird:

Steve Hayo, Trimadore Techno-Wizard

Steve Hayo (pronounced "HEY-OOOOoooooo!!") really wants to fit in. He doesn't. Maybe if he'd just stop touching everyone's face when he talked to them? Still, the Legion keeps him around because, even for a Techno-Wizard, he's an amazing repairman (His effective Repair typically ranges from d12+3 to d12+7, depending on what he's fixing.) Throw in an extensive array of knowledge and darn good techno-wizardry powers (with a heavy focus on defense and support), and you've got a solid addition to the party.

Curious and Cautious make for an odd mix. In cases where there's a conflict, I'd say the Major Hindrance (Curious) wins out. So he will be careful on a battlefield, but in a newly excavated Golden Age warehouse? Yeah, he's all over that, devil take the hindmost.

Bold decision to give him NO Fighting at all, I must say.

That said, very impressive!

Freemage
Veteran

#80 Postby Freemage » Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:10 pm

So, Chuck was a commander at the Siege of Tolkeen. He was a loyal CS soldier, and very effective as a leader. His unit racked up impressive victories against the undead hordes that poured out in the latter stages of the war. He didn't really care about the great campaign, but he did recognize the threat posed by such wanton use of dark magic, and his duty was clearly to put it down, hard.

And then, his unit was used as bait to draw out the defenders of Tolkeen where they could be shelled by CS artillery. However, his commanders forgot to tell him that they were not going to be waiting for his unit to get clear. His unit suffered more casualties from the shelling in one day than they had in the entire war. It was too much for the commander, loyal to his troops as they were to him; he and the survivors fled the Siege, hoping to find a better way than either the Federation or the CS. He found the Legion.

Return to “SW Pinnacle Licensed Settings”