[SR] Are psionic attacks considered magical attacks for damage purposes?

Information and comments on all Pinnacle licensed Savage Settings. Please note the product with an abbreviation in the Subject line (ex. [SR] for Savage Rifts®, [6G] for The Sixth Gun, [SK] for Solomon Kane, and so on). Note: Licensee settings by 3rd parties are below.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

jim1
Novice

[SR] Are psionic attacks considered magical attacks for damage purposes?

#1 Postby jim1 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:44 pm

If a foe takes half-damage from non-magical attacks, does it take full or half-damage from psionic attacks?

Gordon
Seasoned

Re: [SR] Are psionic attacks considered magical attacks for damage purposes?

#2 Postby Gordon » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:05 pm

Generally, yes depending on the circumstances. An AB is an AB is an AB. However, that being said, the GM or Setting will likely have something to say about what 'resistance' something may have and a AB (Psi) power may not apply to said resistance, while the object may be resistant to AB (Miracles) or AB (Magic).

YMMV.

Could you disclose the context?

ValhallaGH
Legendary

#3 Postby ValhallaGH » Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:32 pm

Savage Rifts seems to make a (sharp) distinction between psionics and magic. My guess (and this is a better question for the Official Answers topic) is that the answer is, "no".
But don't hold me to that; it's how I rule (look at the Murder Wraith for precedent) but may not be the actual intent.
"Got a problem? I've got the solution: Rocket Launcher."
"Not against a Servitor."
"... We're all gonna die."

nanoboy
Novice

#4 Postby nanoboy » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:51 pm

In Palladium Rifts, it was important that they were different. Magic could sometimes affect things that psionics could not, but it is also more detectable.

Kaandorian
Novice

#5 Postby Kaandorian » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:12 am

ValhallaGH wrote:Savage Rifts seems to make a (sharp) distinction between psionics and magic. My guess (and this is a better question for the Official Answers topic) is that the answer is, "no".
But don't hold me to that; it's how I rule (look at the Murder Wraith for precedent) but may not be the actual intent.

I think Murder Wraith is the exception. That's why the Invulnerable entry states
can only be truly damaged by arcane magic and silver (Cyber-Knight abilities count as magic for these purposes)

Other similar resistances aren't so specific, so I'm prone to say "Yes" to the OP.
Well, obviously it's just my opinion.

ValhallaGH
Legendary

#6 Postby ValhallaGH » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:11 am

Kaandorian wrote:
ValhallaGH wrote:Savage Rifts seems to make a (sharp) distinction between psionics and magic. My guess (and this is a better question for the Official Answers topic) is that the answer is, "no".

I think Murder Wraith is the exception. That's why the Invulnerable entry states
can only be truly damaged by arcane magic and silver (Cyber-Knight abilities count as magic for these purposes)

Other similar resistances aren't so specific, so I'm prone to say "Yes" to the OP.

I read that and see an exception for one psionic ability to the general Setting Rule that psionics is not magic.
You read that and see ... something else.

Again, I hope Clint steps in for an official word, soon. Because we're just throwing around opinions on an issue that isn't actually clear.
My opinion is guided by previous rulings. Specifically here
Clint wrote:When it says “magic or psionics” (lowercase), it refers to the use of PPE (magic) or ISP (psionics), and per the Setting Rules, “Power Points are split into two versions, ISP (Inner Strength Points) for psionics and PPE (Potential Psychic Energy) for all other Arcane Backgrounds.”
So any AB other than Psionics is effectively “magic” (lowercase) in the setting and couldn’t be used.
and here
Clint wrote:
Brickulos wrote:Under the write up for murder wraiths it states that only silver and arcane magic can hurt them. Does "arcane" refer to powers that aren't psionic in origin? Which arcane backgrounds have abilities that qualify as arcane?

Any that use PPE instead of ISP.
, but I've been wrong before, and I'm big enough to own that. :D

Freemage
Veteran

#7 Postby Freemage » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:24 am

I put a copy of the question in the OA settings thread.

Kaandorian
Novice

#8 Postby Kaandorian » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:30 am

ValhallaGH wrote:
Kaandorian wrote:

I read that and see an exception for one psionic ability to the general Setting Rule that psionics is not magic.
You read that and see ... something else.

Again, I hope Clint steps in for an official word, soon. Because we're just throwing around opinions on an issue that isn't actually clear.
My opinion is guided by previous rulings. Specifically here
Clint wrote:When it says “magic or psionics” (lowercase), it refers to the use of PPE (magic) or ISP (psionics), and per the Setting Rules, “Power Points are split into two versions, ISP (Inner Strength Points) for psionics and PPE (Potential Psychic Energy) for all other Arcane Backgrounds.”
So any AB other than Psionics is effectively “magic” (lowercase) in the setting and couldn’t be used.
and here
Clint wrote:
Brickulos wrote:Under the write up for murder wraiths it states that only silver and arcane magic can hurt them. Does "arcane" refer to powers that aren't psionic in origin? Which arcane backgrounds have abilities that qualify as arcane?

Any that use PPE instead of ISP.
, but I've been wrong before, and I'm big enough to own that. :D

Well, you got a point. Two, actually. :D

jim1
Novice

#9 Postby jim1 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:06 pm

Freemage wrote:I put a copy of the question in the OA settings thread.

Good idea! Hope it gets an official answer, it's gonna come up in my game tomorrow night! Cheers!

EDIT: We have an official answer from Clint! Psionics are not treated as magic for damage purposes except when powering certain TW weapons.
Last edited by jim1 on Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ValhallaGH
Legendary

#10 Postby ValhallaGH » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:02 pm

Answered. Half damage.

Freemage
Veteran

#11 Postby Freemage » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:04 pm

ValhallaGH wrote:Answered. Half damage.

And TW devices count as "magic" even if they are powered by ISP, which is a useful confirmation in itself.

Return to “SW Pinnacle Licensed Settings”