Con on the Cob 2016

The place to discuss conventions. What's coming up, what's going on, and what happened afterward.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, Evil Mike, Chaos Steve, The Moderators

Caveman
Novice

Con on the Cob 2016

#1 Postby Caveman » Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:43 am

Looking forward to CotC again this year, even though Andy moved it and it collides with UCon! If I must choose - I choose the Cob.

I've seen some of the usual crew's Savage events on the schedule. Who's going? Who's running what? What are the odds of an over-excited player falling in the pool?

I'm running two pulp events this year:
Thu 11/10 7:00p - 11:00p - 1060 Lost Tribe of Samus
Fri 11/11 7:00p - 11:00p - 1061 The Curse of Samus

Looking forward to seeing everyone and catching up!
:1beerchug:
- Dave R

"Sometimes when I look at my computer screen, I wonder - are there little demons inside drawing the letters? I don't know! I'm just a simple caveman. My primitive mind can't grasp these concepts."

Darq666
Veteran

Re: Con on the Cob 2016

#2 Postby Darq666 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:51 pm

Sean Patrick Fannon is running 3 Savage Rifts Games, Andy is running a Low life game and I am running multiple sessions of 3 Low Life games. FYI for Low Life Fans, the Holy Crap kickstarter ends Saturday. It has 4+ new races, new Edges and Hindrances, New Powers and in depth look at Contanimation and Danged Wrangling

amerigoV
Heroic

#3 Postby amerigoV » Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:43 pm

I am running 3 loosely linked games - seats available!

The Woes of Wudusmoca (Hellfrost) - 3 parts.

While the PCs are in the town of Wudusmoca, an itinerant cleric of the Norns is ritually murdered during Festival of Ragnar! All know that the town will be cursed unless it overcomes three trials: one from the past, one from the present, and one from a possible future. All in the town must help in some way or doom shall befall them.

1013 Thursday 2-6
1014 Friday 2-6
1015 Sat 2-6

I believe we Savages get a room buy the "restaurant" and not in the area with all the commoners and pool.
Savage Buckeye!

Saucy Wench
Novice

#4 Postby Saucy Wench » Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:34 pm

I'm running 1182 Savage Rifts: The Shadow Over Shreveport, Friday the 11th from 3-7.
"Send lawyers, guns, and money." -Warren Zevon

Forged Goo
Novice

#5 Postby Forged Goo » Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:44 pm

This will be my first chance to go to Con on the Cob. Very Excited. I am running "A Funkytown Mystery: Jingles all the Way!" Saturday at 10am. It is a funky take on mystery (think Scooby Doo) where you play an animated Einstein bobble head or a chalk outline, among others, to foil the diabolical plot of the bad guys. If you like to laugh and enjoy tongue-in-cheek con games this is for you. See you there.

Forged Goo (Vince)

amerigoV
Heroic

#6 Postby amerigoV » Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:02 pm

amerigoV wrote:I am running 3 loosely linked games - seats available!

The Woes of Wudusmoca (Hellfrost) - 3 parts.

While the PCs are in the town of Wudusmoca, an itinerant cleric of the Norns is ritually murdered during Festival of Ragnar! All know that the town will be cursed unless it overcomes three trials: one from the past, one from the present, and one from a possible future. All in the town must help in some way or doom shall befall them.

1013 Thursday 2-6
1014 Friday 2-6
1015 Sat 2-6

I believe we Savages get a room buy the "restaurant" and not in the area with all the commoners and pool.

Still seats available! Winter is coming!
Savage Buckeye!

Darq666
Veteran

#7 Postby Darq666 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:44 pm

I am running the following Low Life Sessions:
1109 Thursday 11/10 12-4 pm; 1.000 Sloppy Seconds: Character Creation Session followed by an introductory adventure where the heap (your group) investigate the disappearance of the proprietor of your local sudsmidden.This is the first Living Low adventure in the Thundarr Down Under adventure line.

1111 Thursday 11/10 4-8 pm; 1.001 Thundarr Struck: The Second Living Low Adventure in the Thundarr Down Under Adventure Line. Your heap are hired aboard the Thundarr Down Under, a Slog Schooner (Think ship mounted on the back of a Giant semi-sentient Twinky with attitude) loaded with cargo and passengers heading from Floom to Bottom Saloo. On the first leg of the journey, the Thundarr runs a foul of some price-o-corns (pirates) who heist a... vital piece of... equipment needed to guide the vessel. The heap must retrieve the...piece of equipment or its a long walk home...

1112 Friday 11/11 8-10 am; Living Low Living Campaign Character Creation Session: Guide you through making a character. Once you have your character - One you make at CoC at a 1109 Sloppy Seconds or Character Creation session or just take the time to fill out the character sheet, hunt down Andy who has committed to drawing you a quick sketch of your character!

1063 Friday 11/11 2-6 pm; Andy is running 0.002 Bowls of the Oith. If you haven't played in a Low Life game run by Andy it is a... Unique experience ;). This is a Stand Alone Living Low Adventure.

1110 Saturday 11/12 8 am - 12 pm; A Second Session of 1.000 Sloppy Seconds (see above)

1113 Saturday 11/12 4-8 pm; 2.001 The Sinister Secretions of Stan's Rug: Your heap is hired by the Garden of Smellmental Glee to find out what happened to their Expedition to Investigate strange emissions from Stan's Crack, and they uncover a plot to RULE THE WORLD muahahahahaha! This is the first adventure in the Sinister Secretions Adventure Line.

1115 Sunday 11/13 8 am - 12 pm; 1.003 Santana Claws is Coming to Town: The Horcan bed time story about Santana Claws appears to be coming to life as demonstrated by the gruesome murders (and artful re-arrangement of body bits) of local smelves. Can the heap stop the murders before the twelve days of Santanmas are finished? This is the fourth adventure in the Thundarr Down Under adventure line. or 1.002 A Little Off the Top: The homes of hamster farmers around the periphery of Somewhat Unusual are being systematically destroyed, their occupants disappeared with nothing left behind beyond the odd gore stain or two. Town sentiment points toward the Stanist temple in the middle of town, so their work is cut out for them when the Stanist High Priest hires them to solve the mystery. This is the third adventure in the Thundarr Down Under adventure line

Whichever the consensus calls for

All these adventures are Living Low adventures - part of the Living Low Living Campaign. Though not required and we can make accommodations, it would be great if you could show up with a Novice Low Life Character for the later adventures. We will be creating characters in 1009, 1112, and 1110. You can download a character sheet (Save it local FIRST then fill it out. if you fill it out in your browser after clicking the link, when you do save it, it will save a blank sheet and all your work will be lost!), and get information on creating a character from the Living Low web site. EVERYTHING is free except the published source books.

Be sure and download the Character Creation Guide, which gives information about Living Low and O-ficial characters. TheCharacter Creation Worksheet is a step by step worksheet including lists of your choices for character customization. Lastly take a look at the Peep Core Pods available on the Whole Hole Explorer's Societe' Fan Club. Each Peep Core Pod defines a character archetype indicating important edges, attributes and skills for that archetype and presenting a sample character as well as information on tweaking them. All you have to do is pick a Race and apply racial traits!

Damian Magecraft
Seasoned

#8 Postby Damian Magecraft » Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:20 pm

I will be there.
Looking forward to seeing everyone there!
As a GM I live by one hard and fast rule:
It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"

Boldfist
Heroic

#9 Postby Boldfist » Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:45 pm

I am running a Savage Conan Homebrew Friday morning at 9am. My second game is NE2, Bring me the head of Nevermore! at 9am. Although I may not get to run it, depending on some RL stuff going on at home.
Norm "No Relation" Hensley

amerigoV
Heroic

#10 Postby amerigoV » Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:25 am

Children of the Corn - A Con on the Cob report

I am about to wrap up my Con on the Cob 2016 trip. This year had a very nice Savage showing overall and we had our own room to run games. For me this lead to both a very cozy feeling. The room's location and the fact I was just playing/running SW lead it to feel like I was a big gaming weekend at a friends house versus going to a convention like Origins.

I ran three games that were all related story-wise - The Woes of Wudusmoca - adventures set in TAG's Hellfrost setting. I had a good number of players that participated in all three of the sessions (caveman, boldfist, and others that I do not know their screen names), again giving a "gathering of friends" feel to the games well beyond a typical Convention game. This lead to me running a Sean Patrick Fannon style (mini) epic final session with 8 or 9 players - of which one was coincidentally going on at the next table (SPF running RIFTs). Since there was continuity in players, of course there became continuity in inside jokes and call-backs. The main running gags involved a wood merchant continually trying to overcharge the group for any little service (even after being saved by them), the iWagon, and the group trying to change the town's name. And I had fun beating the group down with a Dragon, a Frost Giant, and then a Death Knight & his Giant Dragon Giant Two-Headed Skeleton (take the bones of the prior two bosses and put them together). And all Hail Thrym, the heroic Polar Bear that saved the town!

I want to thank all who played for making it a fantastic experience and I hope all of you enjoyed the game(s)!

I also got to be a player in a that same environment by being in both of caveman's two Samas games (see the first post in this thread). A good number of players carried over and the inside jokes did as well! I really enjoyed playing Prof Worthington. Given I was running combat heavy games, I enjoyed running a clearly non-combatant character and throwing out a bunch of Smarts tricks (and bananas!) in such situations.

I played a Cyber Knight in SPF's first (I believe) RIFTs game that he ran. I was really interested in playing in that game as I did not play RIFTs back in the day (or even currently) but I like the concept. The power levels of the game are very much "dialed up to 11". I picked that character specifically because we had just ended a campaign back home where I ran a similar concept under the regular rules. Lets just say that 0xp character felt like what I was running at Veteran and was even pulling a few things off that I did not try until Heroic with my "regular" character.

Forged Goo's Funkytown was a very interesting concept (see post above). I played the Chalk Outline. Talk about stretching your mind to play a different type of character. Really fun and we might have added a couple of people to the Savage Fold at the same time.

I played a pick up game of Shaintar. I was supposed to be in a Fugetaboutit but I did not find the game (anyone know if it went off Sat Night and I just missed it?). My goblin figured out a new trapping for Armor (unbuckle the Paladin's armor and climb in). Funny thing is he is not even a spellcaster. The less said the better.

I have a quick Other Mike Lankhmar game this morning, hit the dealer hall and back home. My only regret is no Hogzilla :(

Thanks to all that make CotC possible and so much fun!
Savage Buckeye!

amerigoV
Heroic

#11 Postby amerigoV » Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:26 am

Children of the Corn - A Con on the Cob report

I am about to wrap up my Con on the Cob 2016 trip. This year had a very nice Savage showing overall and we had our own room to run games. For me this lead to both a very cozy feeling. The room's location and the fact I was just playing/running SW lead it to feel like I was a big gaming weekend at a friends house versus going to a convention like Origins.

I ran three games that were all related story-wise - The Woes of Wudusmoca - adventures set in TAG's Hellfrost setting. I had a good number of players that participated in all three of the sessions (caveman, boldfist, and others that I do not know their screen names), again giving a "gathering of friends" feel to the games well beyond a typical Convention game. This lead to me running a Sean Patrick Fannon style (mini) epic final session with 8 or 9 players - of which one was coincidentally going on at the next table (SPF running RIFTs). Since there was continuity in players, of course there became continuity in inside jokes and call-backs. The main running gags involved a wood merchant continually trying to overcharge the group for any little service (even after being saved by them), the iWagon, and the group trying to change the town's name. And I had fun beating the group down with a Dragon, a Frost Giant, and then a Death Knight & his Giant Dragon Giant Two-Headed Skeleton (take the bones of the prior two bosses and put them together). And all Hail Thrym, the heroic Polar Bear that saved the town!

I want to thank all who played for making it a fantastic experience and I hope all of you enjoyed the game(s)!

I also got to be a player in a that same environment by being in both of caveman's two Samas games (see the first post in this thread). A good number of players carried over and the inside jokes did as well! I really enjoyed playing Prof Worthington. Given I was running combat heavy games, I enjoyed running a clearly non-combatant character and throwing out a bunch of Smarts tricks (and bananas!) in such situations.

I played a Cyber Knight in SPF's first (I believe) RIFTs game that he ran. I was really interested in playing in that game as I did not play RIFTs back in the day (or even currently) but I like the concept. The power levels of the game are very much "dialed up to 11". I picked that character specifically because we had just ended a campaign back home where I ran a similar concept under the regular rules. Lets just say that 0xp character felt like what I was running at Veteran and was even pulling a few things off that I did not try until Heroic with my "regular" character.

Forged Goo's Funkytown was a very interesting concept (see post above). I played the Chalk Outline. Talk about stretching your mind to play a different type of character. Really fun and we might have added a couple of people to the Savage Fold at the same time.

I played a pick up game of Shaintar. I was supposed to be in a Fugetaboutit but I did not find the game (anyone know if it went off Sat Night and I just missed it?). My goblin figured out a new trapping for Armor (unbuckle the Paladin's armor and climb in). Funny thing is he is not even a spellcaster. The less said the better.

I have a quick Other Mike Lankhmar game this morning, hit the dealer hall and back home. My only regret is no Hogzilla :(

Thanks to all that make CotC possible and so much fun!
Savage Buckeye!

Caveman
Novice

#12 Postby Caveman » Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:09 pm

Another good time at Con on the Cob!!! I will second Jeff's (amerigoV) comments, it felt very much like a gaming weekend with friends - big thumbs-up for the Savage room and its location this year.

I ran two connected pulp related games and had great tables with several players that sat in on both. Thanks to everyone who played, they were loads of fun with bananas on top!

I had the pleasure of playing in a bunch of games as well. I was able to exercise my bureaucracy and planning skills in amerigoV's Woes of Wudusmoca trilogy, which saw more party angst over the name of the town than the damn dragon mini that kept coming back. (All hail King Oh-Hey!!!)

I also got to play in two games run by Norm (boldfist). The first was a great Savage Conan game where I was able to compete against Other Mike for the lust of a wintery wench. The second was a Savage Supers game in the Necessary Evil setting where I played Gravel, a living pile of rocks who liked hitting stuff and earthquaking other stuff into rubble. (Oh, btw - Steve Nitro!!!)

We played in a pickup Shaintar game which was a lot of fun despite the goblin burrowing involving amerigoV and Heather, but we shall speak no more of it...

Finally, a quick wrap-up game of Lankhmar run by Other Mike to finish up the weekend - a very abrupt and bloody affair.

Let us not forget the most important development of the weekend, the identification and official branding for "The Sprague" - when you are rolling a ranged attack and ace the d6, only to follow it up with a one and miss getting a raise. Occurrences of this phenomena were widespread by the end of the weekend. Other Mike has been identified as Patient Zero, and I fear most all of the Savages that gamed with him have been infected. Hopefully research for a vaccination is underway...

It was awesome seeing everyone, thanks to all of you for making this a great weekend!!!
- Dave R

"Sometimes when I look at my computer screen, I wonder - are there little demons inside drawing the letters? I don't know! I'm just a simple caveman. My primitive mind can't grasp these concepts."

amerigoV
Heroic

#13 Postby amerigoV » Thu Nov 17, 2016 4:07 pm

Caveman wrote:I had the pleasure of playing in a bunch of games as well. I was able to exercise my bureaucracy and planning skills in amerigoV's Woes of Wudusmoca trilogy, which saw more party angst over the name of the town than the damn dragon mini that kept coming back. (All hail King Oh-Hey!!!)

For those interested, I did a write-up on the Woes of Wudusmoca saga on TAG's forum, including the "prequel" adventure that I ran before CotC. For those that played in it, feel free to add details from your POV.

http://www.tripleacegames.com/forums/to ... wudusmoca/
Savage Buckeye!

Return to “The Con Suite”