[SR] Mods, Robot Armor and Dual-Linked Weapons

Information and comments on all Pinnacle licensed Savage Settings. Please note the product with an abbreviation in the Subject line (ex. [SR] for Savage Rifts®, [6G] for The Sixth Gun, [SK] for Solomon Kane, and so on). Note: Licensee settings by 3rd parties are below.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

Message
Author
Café Truck
Novice
Posts: 58
Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:35 pm

[SR] Mods, Robot Armor and Dual-Linked Weapons

#1 Postby Café Truck » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:13 pm

How does one go about determining how many mods a dual-linked weapon system uses up? For instance, the Gunwolf Robot Armor has dual-linked Medium Rail Guns. A single Medium Rail Gun is 4 mods. How many is a dual-linked system? Surely not 8 mods, which seems like a high price for a comparatively moderate benefit (+1 Shooting and +2 damage is nice, but not worth the "cost" of a second Rail Gun).

Is this in one of the books somewhere? I'm not finding it in Tomorrow Legion or SWEE.

Brickulos
Veteran
Posts: 643
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:12 pm

Re: [SR] Mods, Robot Armor and Dual-Linked Weapons

#2 Postby Brickulos » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:06 pm

Linked systems are half of the total number of mods of the constituent weapons.

Café Truck
Novice
Posts: 58
Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:35 pm

Re: [SR] Mods, Robot Armor and Dual-Linked Weapons

#3 Postby Café Truck » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:14 pm

Brickulos wrote:Linked systems are half of the total number of mods of the constituent weapons.


So, a dual-linked Medium Rail Gun system would be 6 mods (4 for the first + 2 for the linked), correct?

Which book is that in?

Thanks!

Brickulos
Veteran
Posts: 643
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:12 pm

Re: [SR] Mods, Robot Armor and Dual-Linked Weapons

#4 Postby Brickulos » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:20 pm

No the total mod cost is 4. That's based on the Scifi Companion.

Freemage
Veteran
Posts: 916
Joined: Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:18 pm

Re: [SR] Mods, Robot Armor and Dual-Linked Weapons

#5 Postby Freemage » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:38 pm

Brickulos wrote:No the total mod cost is 4. That's based on the Scifi Companion.


Just to comprehend--dual linked weapons take up no more mods than the original weapon? I'm trying to comprehend, in that case, why you wouldn't have ALL dual-linked weapons (or quad-linked, assuming the math continues in that vein), so long as budget was no object....

Brickulos
Veteran
Posts: 643
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:12 pm

Re: [SR] Mods, Robot Armor and Dual-Linked Weapons

#6 Postby Brickulos » Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:06 pm

The cost of the equipment itself is prohibitive enough

Café Truck
Novice
Posts: 58
Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:35 pm

Re: [SR] Mods, Robot Armor and Dual-Linked Weapons

#7 Postby Café Truck » Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:11 pm

Freemage wrote:
Brickulos wrote:No the total mod cost is 4. That's based on the Scifi Companion.


Just to comprehend--dual linked weapons take up no more mods than the original weapon? I'm trying to comprehend, in that case, why you wouldn't have ALL dual-linked weapons (or quad-linked, assuming the math continues in that vein), so long as budget was no object....


Wow. That is... surprising.

Freemage
Veteran
Posts: 916
Joined: Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:18 pm

Re: [SR] Mods, Robot Armor and Dual-Linked Weapons

#8 Postby Freemage » Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:51 pm

Brickulos wrote:The cost of the equipment itself is prohibitive enough


Until the first time you salvage something. Even at the number I suggested in another thread (5-10% depending on condition), salvage of gear in this game is going to mean you get to the point of being able to buy almost anything by Seasoned, unless the GM is actively trying to make the world unrealistic (by having all salvaged gear automatically be completely destroyed).

And that certainly doesn't explain why EVERY weapon in the CS military isn't dual- or quad-linked. They've made it pretty clear that 'money is no object' when it comes to addressing the D-Bee threat. (Of course, doing this would just up the value of salvage, increasing the problem of the prior paragraph.)

ValhallaGH
Legendary
Posts: 8237
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:15 pm

Re: [SR] Mods, Robot Armor and Dual-Linked Weapons

#9 Postby ValhallaGH » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:20 pm

Freemage wrote:
Brickulos wrote:No the total mod cost is 4. That's based on the Scifi Companion.

Just to comprehend--dual linked weapons take up no more mods than the original weapon? I'm trying to comprehend, in that case, why you wouldn't have ALL dual-linked weapons (or quad-linked, assuming the math continues in that vein), so long as budget was no object....

Correct, and Quad-Linked only takes up the mods of two weapons. Quad-Linked Fixed systems take up as many mods as a turret with the base weapon system.
For the "claymore variant" of a Hunter Mobile Gun, just replace the heavy rail gun with a fixed-front, quad-linked heavy rail gun. Face "front towards enemy" and blow them to pieces. :cannon:

Freemage wrote:And that certainly doesn't explain why EVERY weapon in the CS military isn't dual- or quad-linked.

Probably for most of the same reasons that not all modern direct fire weapons are linked. Ignoring cost issues, there are still power flow, control system, bulk and visibility, logistics and resupply (all that extra ammunition being fired), and the design philosophy of the people designing the systems.
All of those issues will factor into vehicle design and armament.
"Got a problem? I've got the solution: Rocket Launcher."
"Not against a Servitor."
"... We're all gonna die."

Freemage
Veteran
Posts: 916
Joined: Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:18 pm

Re: [SR] Mods, Robot Armor and Dual-Linked Weapons

#10 Postby Freemage » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:01 pm

ValhallaGH wrote:
Freemage wrote:
Brickulos wrote:No the total mod cost is 4. That's based on the Scifi Companion.

Just to comprehend--dual linked weapons take up no more mods than the original weapon? I'm trying to comprehend, in that case, why you wouldn't have ALL dual-linked weapons (or quad-linked, assuming the math continues in that vein), so long as budget was no object....

Correct, and Quad-Linked only takes up the mods of two weapons. Quad-Linked Fixed systems take up as many mods as a turret with the base weapon system.
For the "claymore variant" of a Hunter Mobile Gun, just replace the heavy rail gun with a fixed-front, quad-linked heavy rail gun. Face "front towards enemy" and blow them to pieces. :cannon:

Freemage wrote:And that certainly doesn't explain why EVERY weapon in the CS military isn't dual- or quad-linked.

Probably for most of the same reasons that not all modern direct fire weapons are linked. Ignoring cost issues, there are still power flow, control system, bulk and visibility, logistics and resupply (all that extra ammunition being fired), and the design philosophy of the people designing the systems.
All of those issues will factor into vehicle design and armament.


See, to me, that list is the sort of thing you'd expect to be abstracted into the Mods cost for the weapons. Ie, just like Encumbrance is more than weight, "Mods" is more than physical space--it's also engineering issues. I do think I'm going to houserule "half again" for Dual-Linked, and Quad-linked counts as three of the base weapon.

User avatar
Clint
Site Admin
Posts: 20327
Joined: Tue May 13, 2003 2:28 pm

Re: [SR] Mods, Robot Armor and Dual-Linked Weapons

#11 Postby Clint » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:03 pm

Freemage wrote:Until the first time you salvage something. Even at the number I suggested in another thread (5-10% depending on condition), salvage of gear in this game is going to mean you get to the point of being able to buy almost anything by Seasoned, unless the GM is actively trying to make the world unrealistic (by having all salvaged gear automatically be completely destroyed).


Being able to "buy almost anything" doesn't mean that thing exists to be bought. The players are surely never going to have the money of the Coalition or NGR to be able to fund the design and production of their own specialized suit of robot armor which has a bunch of dual-linked weapons. Heck, they couldn't even afford the R&D necessary to modify an existing robot for conversion from single weapon to dual-linked, much less the actual work it would entail.

The point being, the number of actual Mods a dual-linked weapon takes up is irrelevant in the setting. If replacing weapons "Mod for Mod" as per the book, then a set of dual-linked Mod 4 weapons could only be replaced with another set of dual-linked Mod 4 weapons.

Freemage wrote:And that certainly doesn't explain why EVERY weapon in the CS military isn't dual- or quad-linked. They've made it pretty clear that 'money is no object' when it comes to addressing the D-Bee threat.


If positing a suggestion that would not "make the world unrealistic," then it stands that the concept of "money is no object" to the Coalition is obviously equally unrealistic. They clearly must have an actual economy, not some magical never-ending bag of gold. And a nation ruled by "tactics of propaganda, disinformation, and ignorance" isn't the most trustworthy source for their actual stance on an issue. Money is an object, and as with any object, it's use, even by a very wealthy country, has to be balanced against its availability.

So while Prosek may say "Money is no object to end the D-Bee threat!" The Minister of Finance might say, "Per the Emperor, money is no object to end the D-Bee threat...but you're still expected to come in under budget." ;)
Clint Black
Savage Worlds Core Rules Brand Manager

www.peginc.com

Café Truck
Novice
Posts: 58
Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:35 pm

Re: [SR] Mods, Robot Armor and Dual-Linked Weapons

#12 Postby Café Truck » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:32 am

Clint wrote: Being able to "buy almost anything" doesn't mean that thing exists to be bought. The players are surely never going to have the money of the Coalition or NGR to be able to fund the design and production of their own specialized suit of robot armor which has a bunch of dual-linked weapons. Heck, they couldn't even afford the R&D necessary to modify an existing robot for conversion from single weapon to dual-linked, much less the actual work it would entail.

The point being, the number of actual Mods a dual-linked weapon takes up is irrelevant in the setting. If replacing weapons "Mod for Mod" as per the book, then a set of dual-linked Mod 4 weapons could only be replaced with another set of dual-linked Mod 4 weapons.


Ok, I can dig this. The limitation is in the role playing instead of just the mechanics. I'm still not perfectly clear on why the mechanics work the way they do, but at least there is something to prevent every weapon system from being dual-linked (especially laser and ion weapons, which often don't need to worry about ammo).

User avatar
Clint
Site Admin
Posts: 20327
Joined: Tue May 13, 2003 2:28 pm

Re: [SR] Mods, Robot Armor and Dual-Linked Weapons

#13 Postby Clint » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:59 pm

Café Truck wrote:
Clint wrote:The point being, the number of actual Mods a dual-linked weapon takes up is irrelevant in the setting. If replacing weapons "Mod for Mod" as per the book, then a set of dual-linked Mod 4 weapons could only be replaced with another set of dual-linked Mod 4 weapons.


Ok, I can dig this. The limitation is in the role playing instead of just the mechanics. I'm still not perfectly clear on why the mechanics work the way they do, but at least there is something to prevent every weapon system from being dual-linked (especially laser and ion weapons, which often don't need to worry about ammo).


Well to clarify a bit and hopefully avoid any confusion (my last post was a bit late and perhaps not as clear as it could be), the key is that the number of Mods used for linking weapons comes from the SFC not SR. The actual rules from the setting only allow for swapping out weapons Mod for Mod, not changing the linked or not-linked status of those weapons.

Meaning there is a limitation in mechanics based on what's allowed for the setting. It's only when trying to apply rules from outside that it becomes an "issue," but that can happen with any externally applied rules. Moreso when the baseline is a setting "cranked to 11" that doesn't fall within any established power levels.

Hope that's a bit clearer and doesn't muddy things up even more. :?
Clint Black

Savage Worlds Core Rules Brand Manager



www.peginc.com

Freemage
Veteran
Posts: 916
Joined: Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:18 pm

Re: [SR] Mods, Robot Armor and Dual-Linked Weapons

#14 Postby Freemage » Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:22 pm

Clint wrote:
Café Truck wrote:
Clint wrote:The point being, the number of actual Mods a dual-linked weapon takes up is irrelevant in the setting. If replacing weapons "Mod for Mod" as per the book, then a set of dual-linked Mod 4 weapons could only be replaced with another set of dual-linked Mod 4 weapons.


Ok, I can dig this. The limitation is in the role playing instead of just the mechanics. I'm still not perfectly clear on why the mechanics work the way they do, but at least there is something to prevent every weapon system from being dual-linked (especially laser and ion weapons, which often don't need to worry about ammo).


Well to clarify a bit and hopefully avoid any confusion (my last post was a bit late and perhaps not as clear as it could be), the key is that the number of Mods used for linking weapons comes from the SFC not SR. The actual rules from the setting only allow for swapping out weapons Mod for Mod, not changing the linked or not-linked status of those weapons.

Meaning there is a limitation in mechanics based on what's allowed for the setting. It's only when trying to apply rules from outside that it becomes an "issue," but that can happen with any externally applied rules. Moreso when the baseline is a setting "cranked to 11" that doesn't fall within any established power levels.

Hope that's a bit clearer and doesn't muddy things up even more. :?


And this now makes total sense to me. Thanks for the clari, Clint!

Café Truck
Novice
Posts: 58
Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:35 pm

Re: [SR] Mods, Robot Armor and Dual-Linked Weapons

#15 Postby Café Truck » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:13 pm

Clint wrote: Well to clarify a bit and hopefully avoid any confusion (my last post was a bit late and perhaps not as clear as it could be), the key is that the number of Mods used for linking weapons comes from the SFC not SR. The actual rules from the setting only allow for swapping out weapons Mod for Mod, not changing the linked or not-linked status of those weapons.

Meaning there is a limitation in mechanics based on what's allowed for the setting. It's only when trying to apply rules from outside that it becomes an "issue," but that can happen with any externally applied rules. Moreso when the baseline is a setting "cranked to 11" that doesn't fall within any established power levels.

Hope that's a bit clearer and doesn't muddy things up even more. :?


Clearer than mud. :) Thanks!


Return to “SW Pinnacle Licensed Settings”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests