LF Fantasy Adventures / Question about Ranks

Just got your book, can't find a copy, have a cool adventure idea or story? Chat about it here.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

Koshnek
Novice

LF Fantasy Adventures / Question about Ranks

#1 Postby Koshnek » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:34 am

Im looking for a good fantasy adventure to possibly run. It doesn't have to be SW.

Bonus points:
Easy to convert to SW if not SW.
Maps included.
Interesting story

I have an idea for my own adventure, so in that case I'd also be open to finding adventures which span a session or two as well.

---

What kind of differences should there be between the Ranks? Playing weekly, theres probably 2-3 months between each rank. Should there be a noticeable difference when the players advance into Seasoned? What about Legendary? If your players make it into Legendary and the campaign legitmately continues on, what does Legendary Rank mean for the GM?

ValhallaGH
Legendary

Re: LF Fantasy Adventures / Question about Ranks

#2 Postby ValhallaGH » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:14 am

Depending upon the campaign (especially common in the kind of 6+ year fantasy campaigns associated with D&D), Life Begins at Legendary. (All of those are good, but the first is the relevant one; note the series was written long ago and the rules have had some significant relevant changes, so some of the examples and numbers will be different.)

With respect to game play and character power, Legendary groups are roughly on par with 10th to 12th level D&D characters. They're strong enough that early challenges are probably trivial for them, but weak enough that planar and multi-verse threats are "we need to complete a quest to get the tools to start this quest" territory. In-fiction the characters are A Big Deal: they run companies, hold titles, manage vast holdings, have widespread reputations based upon their deeds (real and exaggerated), are important people, and are known by important people
Starting Novice characters are roughly on par with 3.5 D&D level 3 or 4 characters - weak enough that a lucky critical from an orc warrior can put them down but strong enough to take on anything below a dragon. And like their D&D counterparts, they're impressive enough that they should be building a reputation.
Advancement doesn't change things, much. Each advance provides either an incremental improvement to existing abilities or provides entirely new options. Adding Sweep to a character, or New Power (quickness) or Connections (royal guard), can have a dramatic impact on how that character interacts with the campaign and the character's effective power level. Increasing Fighting or Shooting or Persuasion by a die type (say, d8 to d10) isn't going to have much impact beyond a small increase in success and raise rates.

Generally, higher rank adventures will have more foes (still Extras), better equipment, and more difficult challenges (Social Conflict, Dramatic Task, Fear, etc.). The structure and hooks will be as epic or trivial as the campaign's tone dictates, but the big difference between a Novice raid on a Beholder lair and a Legendary raid on the same Beholder's lair is how many (and how powerful) minions and thralls the Beholder has to help him out.

As for adventure suggestions ... I don't have much. I ran a savage Red Hand of Doom game about a year ago, and it was a blast. Lasted for about five months (originally for levels 5 to 11) and they were Legendary for the final fight, though I was giving them an Advance each session (with a couple of exceptions). Still, some great characters, lots of fun, and fairly easy to convert (though there were some tricky bits, like the climactic mass battle).

Good luck, and I hope that helped some.
"Got a problem? I've got the solution: Rocket Launcher."
"Not against a Servitor."
"... We're all gonna die."

Ryche
Veteran

#3 Postby Ryche » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:28 am

Koshnek wrote:If your players make it into Legendary and the campaign legitmately continues on, what does Legendary Rank mean for the GM?

Something to keep in mind with SW is that a lone goblin with a lucky roll can take out a Min-Max Legendary character. So, while Legendary characters are tougher and able to handle things better, they are not invincible by any stretch. Which I like, since it means I can keep on running the group once they reach that level.

galu
Seasoned

#4 Postby galu » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:07 am

I really like those DnD/Pathfinder modules which are not encounter based, but decision based.

Very nice adventures are:
- Jerimond's Orb
- the mortality of green

Jerimond's orb is a lucky charm/curse on the loose, mortality of green is about a conflict between heirs. Both are very easy to reskin, not combat driven and have quite loose structure*.

*no additional workload to make the railroad disappear.

ValhallaGH
Legendary

#5 Postby ValhallaGH » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:30 am

I can't believe I didn't think of this last night.
Saga of the Goblin Horde: http://www.pegforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=456824#p456824 - Great fantasy adventures, from the perspective of goblin adventures. I'm looking forward to the full setting treatment.

Aside: that thread I just linked has a very large number of great adventures available for free. Many are fantasy. While no longer updated, the [url]=http://www.pegforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=16991first post[/url] is a kind of index for much of the thread.

Deskepticon
Veteran

#6 Postby Deskepticon » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:38 pm

I've only run homebrews (or quasi-conversions) when it came to fantasy games, so there is nothing I can personally vouch for.

However, I am also anticipating the release of Saga of the Goblin Horde. This link with bring you to the official thread for the setting. The free archetypes download and multiple one-sheets give you a pretty good feel for the tone of the game.

From the same author is a Savage Worlds treatment for War of the Burning Sky.

___
As others have mentioned, there is no great difference from one Rank to the next. Depending on how a character spends each Advance, the impact will have varying degrees of noticability. It would require the GM's own judgment on how to balance encounters. But generally, as characters progress using more foes (extras) per player, multiple WC foes per encounter, and situational/environmental hazards are all good ways to keep them on their toes.
Legendary characters progress slower than they did in previous Ranks so the "challenge rating" of the game will plateau a bit.

Koshnek
Novice

#7 Postby Koshnek » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:42 am

Thank you for the replies. I'm still interested if anyone else has some goodies to share with me! I did have one question though...

I assume some of these adventures are relatively old, as I saw some gear with dmg like Str+1 or Str+2. How does that translate to SWD? Str+D4?

Deskepticon
Veteran

#8 Postby Deskepticon » Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:46 am

Koshnek wrote:Thank you for the replies. I'm still interested if anyone else has some goodies to share with me! I did have one question though...

I assume some of these adventures are relatively old, as I saw some gear with dmg like Str+1 or Str+2. How does that translate to SWD? Str+D4?

Str+1 becomes Str+d4
Str+2 becomes Str+d6
Etc.

Any other fixed modifiers (such as from Called Shots, weaknesses, etc.) remain unchanged.

Ilina_Young
Veteran

#9 Postby Ilina_Young » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:38 am

note that some weapons have built in modifiers to damage that may encourage or deter from their use. like the katana for example.

Koshnek
Novice

#10 Postby Koshnek » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:18 am

Yes, I knew about that. Thank you :-). I was reading from an older Adventure that I assume was designed with a previous edition. The dagger, for example, was listed as damage Str+1 instead of Str+d4. The Katana is currently listed as Str+d6+2. I assume in that older adventure the Katana would have had a damage similar to Str+4 instead.

ValhallaGH
Legendary

#11 Postby ValhallaGH » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:44 am

In the original rules, melee damage was a Strength roll with a bonus for the weapon used. This meant that Wild Cards usually hit harder than Extras, and that a benny could be spent on melee damage. Ranged weapons were fixed dice, giving higher average damage but no ability to reroll the damage (and far fewer edges to use against foes).
Starting with Deadlands: Reloaded, melee damage became a regular damage roll. The stated (main) reason was to increase average melee damage, making it more competitive with firearms.

The older adventures are still available, and many still list hand weapons in the Str+X format. But it is a simple conversion, and the conversion documents are still available (for free) on the Savage Worlds product page (see the column of links on the right side).

Koshnek
Novice

#12 Postby Koshnek » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:29 pm

I don't think that particular document exists any more. Just out of curiosity, I perused the promising links and a couple less promising ones, but I did not find the conversion you mentioned.

Return to “SW General Chat & Game Stories”